Show Off Your Finished Huffy Cranbrook's and Nel Lusso

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stripped the red paint and added a few parts
40f455a5c4b248a40ea68063afcc68aa.jpg
b073a1e4f4eca3c8577269fdb9db8adb.jpg
afe69a7783190daf937c636cfce4c206.jpg

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

I've been lurking here a while and the bug bit me. Was waiting for the right men's frame to come along when this curbside special step through/women's frame showed up. Greased the bearings, stripped the decals, and sanded the paint, then used a can of Krylon hammered metal finish paint on her. My kids say it looks like it's made from a cast iron skillet like that's a bad thing.
4bab2ab5c2241b75f100459dcbb4ad79.jpg
17e48da81f64401af16703c6ec60aa79.jpg
96f0dd35d5623edd32bce840b2430130.jpg
1267bfdc2bf6ecbfaed103408dc7a2f9.jpg

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

For those of you with more experience than I have, I just bought a new Cranbrook from Walmart on Hilo Hawaii. I think it's a great looking bike, with a red frame and black fenders. I'm not thrilled with the coaster brake, as it seems a bit weak. It won't lock up the rear wheel for instance. I picked one with no scratches, dents etc, and the wheels are pretty true. If I decide to keep it, I may want to install a front rim brake. I would want a metal handle bar bracket and lever. I'm sure some of you have done this. Any suggestions on what to use? It would mount on the bolt that the fender mounts to.
Maybe this:
https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/odyssey-1999-sidepull-caliper-brake-set-black

For those of you with more experience than I have, I just bought a new Cranbrook from Walmart on Hilo Hawaii. I think it's a great looking bike, with a red frame and black fenders. I'm not thrilled with the coaster brake, as it seems a bit weak. It won't lock up the rear wheel for instance. I picked one with no scratches, dents etc, and the wheels are pretty true. If I decide to keep it, I may want to install a front rim brake. I would want a metal handle bar bracket and lever. I'm sure some of you have done this. Any suggestions on what to use? It would mount on the bolt that the fender mounts to.
Maybe this:
https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/odyssey-1999-sidepull-caliper-brake-set-black

Yes, I've done that a lot , on beach cruisers, sure many others have too. Just make sure it's wide enough and long enough to fit over the fenders and the wide tires.
Of course you could always find an old Cranbrook or any beach cruiser for that matter, could be a Huffy, or a Murray for cheap on Craigslist or local paper, then you have lots of spare parts too.:thumbsup:

That brake looks good, 90mm should be plenty of reach (from the fork hole down to the rim). You can measure to be sure. I've found Niagara to have decent shipping costs, I've got a BB conversion and crankset coming next week.

Hello! I have a question. If I put on a threadless adapter on the stem, what size would I need (insertion diameter)

My Cranbrook, as I wrote above, came with an anemic coaster brake. I called Huffy, and they sent me a new rear wheel assembly minus the tire. I swapped that wheel a few weeks ago, and this coaster is better. About a month ago, I replaced the rear tire on my daughters Thruster Fiixie single speed. It has 700C tires. I had the hardest tire swap ever, and I've done bicycles and motorcycles too. Had a heck of a time getting that kevlar tire beads into the rim. I think it's maybe caused by the way they ship tires now. The basically fold them up and stuff them in a small box, and I think that's why it was so hard. The rear tire on this Cranbrook, though, was so easy I felt guilty. I almost was able to do it without tire irons.

I'm having a hard time riding this bike. I have a bad right knee, and think I should have got a multi speed bike instead. My knee injury makes it impossible to ride standing up for hills. I see the one above with gears and a read derailure. How much money and hassle was it making that bike into a multi speed?

[QUOTE="
I'm having a hard time riding this bike. I have a bad right knee, and think I should have got a multi speed bike instead. My knee injury makes it impossible to ride standing up for hills. I see the one above with gears and a read derailure. How much money and hassle was it making that bike into a multi speed?[/QUOTE]

On my bike, I bought an old mountain bike for sale cheap and swapped the wheels and other needed parts over to the Cranbrook. I bought a vintage stem shifter, but the mtb shifters would work just as well. Brakes would be the bigger issue. The mtb had cantilever brakes. I swapped the front fork to get the font brake, but had to get a caliper that fit for the rear brake.

D09BE7CB-D796-4D95-BD64-07919C5D5CE4.jpeg

Here’s my recently-built Cranny. Flipped motorbike clubman bars, new seatpost for adequate extension, 3-piece crank converter and crank, Ritchey Moby Bite slicks, basket, rat-trap rear rack, bmx front brake w/vintage lever, etc. I love the flat white frame with satin black tinwork!

I like the Suburban too! :)

$800 work truck. Gave her an 8.3 litre V8, new paint, and outfitted hernfor collecting blood samples.from.reptiles in the wberglades and transporting exotic wildlife. But she also serves as my work truck for my primary job, and as such, is in a different city any week. 37 states, so far, this year.

Maybe not much of a build and probably not finished, but I thought I'd give this thread a bump.

IMG_25622.jpg

Like most I ditched the tinfoil fenders and ugly chain guard. Added screws to the pedals for grip. Put a plastic boot from a broken center stand on the stock kickstand. Made a couple reflector holders from pipe strapping. And, most importantly, got a cup holder.

Yeah, I hate to admit it, but the color had a big influence on my purchasing decision. :bigsmile: The bummer is the factory paint scuffs and scrapes off real easy. Not sure if I want to repaint it in the future or just let it patina.

Latest posts

Back