Bike and Parts Shipping Rates Going Up

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
I seen a few posts on the web that it looks like shipping rates have gone up a great deal with bikeflights. Has anyone experienced this yet?

I know USPS rates went up. I think January 22 or so? Now that you mention it it does seem bike flights may have a little too. I shipped a frame last week at it was a few bucks more then what I remembered. Haven’t really noticed with ups.

I haven't shipped a frame or whole bike in a while, but some people said that whole bike jumped from 80 to 120 on bikeflights (fedex)

I haven't shipped a frame or whole bike in a while, but some people said that whole bike jumped from 80 to 120 on bikeflights (fedex)
Dang. That’s a considerable difference. I shipped a road frame. I was estimating about 45/50. It was $55. So it wasn’t too bad. Was a road frame though, so a bit lighter.

I’m in the talks for a compete bike and I typed it all up on bike flights and it was only $55. From Wyoming to SoCal. But, that’s one box, sub 35 lbs.

:eek:

I got a quote from Iowa to Chicago and it was more than my last bike to California! :13:
You must be right... This is really going to hurt us who are trying to give good deals!

I just checked bikeflights on a 35# cruiser box from Savannah to Lancaster. It was just under $78, almost double what I thought it'd be.

I believe the dimensions of the box make a bigger difference than the actual number of pounds- at least when shipping a complete bike.
My two cents- fred

Yes, shipping is all about the dimensional weight more than the actual weight (for the most part).

We reached out to Kent at Bikeflights and he responded with great news.

"The pricing should be back to normal! At the start of the year, there may have been a difference, but they are back to normal! (as of today!)"

also via USPS, an alloy frame from FL to OR...2wks exactly...$24 for shipping. I feel sorry for the guy since it was only a $60 purchase with shipping...so, he got $36 for a new school Free Agent BMX cruiser frame in good shape. I can't imagine that he couldn't have sold it locally on CL for at least $80.

I've come to expect that any package coming from USPS is going to be 2-4wks regardless of where it comes from. I had some parts shipped to me from WA to OR...took 4wks and went through Tennessee and Chicago at one point. The tracking updates became just plain funny after awhile.

Jason

I bought a prewar frame for $65 shipped, the seller wasn't happy when it came time to ship. Shipped bikeflights, said it was $40+ to ship, should be here tomorrow. He stuck to his word, got to give him credit.

Looks like you guys are catching up to the pricing we pay here in Aus...
It really isn't worth selling stuff unless it is locally, and if you really want something and are willing to pay the high fees, you still have to wait, and wait, and wait for 2-3 weeks...

Just like gas , food , and everything else
Why be surprised?

I've come to expect that any package coming from USPS is going to be 2-4wks regardless of where it comes from. I had some parts shipped to me from WA to OR...took 4wks and went through Tennessee and Chicago at one point. The tracking updates became just plain funny after awhile.

For me, it isn't so much that prices are generally higher...it is that USPS keeps getting MUCH higher as their performance is getting MUCH worse :(.

This makes me think of a bike part I ordered a few months ago -- map attached for the 99% of you who either forgot midwestern US geography years (or decades) ago, or who live outside the US. :bigsmile:

I ordered a part from just outside Chicago, Illinois that was supposed to arrive in Columbus, Ohio in two days -- with the weekend it took almost a week. First it went to Toledo. Okay, there's a state route that runs from Toledo to Columbus in about 2 1/2 hours. Instead, USPS sent it outside the state on the other side, to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania! Then they sent it THROUGH COLUMBUS to Cincinnati, Ohio, in the southwest corner of the state! (I've scoured the maps and can't find anything resembling a direct route from Pittsburgh to Cincy that doesn't use I-70 and I-71, both of which run through Columbus.)

THEN they sent it back up I-71 to Columbus -- according to Google maps it's 325 miles from Chicago to Columbus. Taking the crazy USPS route, my package traveled 871 miles instead -- and we wonder how the postal service is losing money?! :mad:

I strongly suspect that in the next 10 or 20 years, Amazon (or maybe Walmart) will just BUY the United States Postal Service from the government, improve it to make shipping faster, AND cut shipping prices by 25% or more. :21:

usps medium.jpg

Attachments

• usps.png
    usps.png
    488 KB · Views: 192

Latest posts

Back