Worksman

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found this in the high weeds near an overpass abandoned. Can anyone tell me anything and everything about this bike? Also if its not a huge disrespect to anyone or this bike i was wondering if making it into something other than leaving it or restoring it to its original. Id like to make it something resembling an old Indian. Any and all suggestions are welcome please and thank you :)

IMG_20180719_221120.jpg
IMG_20180719_221143.jpg
IMG_20180719_221120.jpg
IMG_20180719_221143.jpg
IMG_20180719_221120.jpg
IMG_20180719_221143.jpg
IMG_20180719_221120.jpg
IMG_20180719_221143.jpg
IMG_20180719_221205.jpg
IMG_20180719_221205.jpg
IMG_20180719_222936.jpg

Nice find!

You may want to contact the local police department there to make sure it's not a stolen bike. They can run the serial number in their database. If not, sounds like it's all yours.

Looks like an 80s/90s model Newsboy (INB). Not overly collectible so feel free to do whatever you'd like with it.

lol not really sure even if i reported it to police here they would even care. Nola cops dont give any F's. My partner and i were both hit together by a car on our bikes at an intersection this june and the car behind the car that hit us was a sheriff. he called it in and had us sit on the curb for over an hour before he told us someone from the police department would be down in about maybe and hour or so to figure out who was at fault and who a ticket was going to be issued to. plus it really wouldnt suprise me in anyway tofind out 99.9% of bikes in this city are stolen heh. almost everyone i know here who has a bike has found the whole bike or 3/4 of their bike along side the road in high weeds or in a dumpster. Anyways thanks for the info on this bike. if it were something collectible itd kill me to know ive altered a classic.

Maybe build a tank for it and get some long fenders you can add skirts to and you'd be on your way.

From everything I've experienced and heard, it doesn't seem like cops anywhere (at least in the US) care about stolen bikes. Add with it being so easy for the thieves to steal and move and it being more difficult to track than a car because they're not registered and that's what happens. A $500 car gets far more resources spent getting it back/finding the thief/prosecuting than a $5000 bike any day. Not that I'm for registering bikes as I don't think it will result in any more resources spent on theft recovery even if they are, but it will definitely result in less people into bikes.

Sounds like a great place to live. :bigsmile:
in a sense it is i mean im pretty sure we are top of the list for places to bike. dont get me wrong i love new orleans and biking through this old city (especially on a really special bike) is something you just cant really put into words. it definitely cheers your day up on one of those days you may not be able to afford to do much of anything. Only real problems are that its down right dangerous as all heck riding a bike because people dont give a .... they will just hit you with a car and keep on truckin. that and say you leave your bike locked up somewhere for a certain amount of time though people may not be able to jack your frame people will pick a bike apart for whatever comes loose. hence why i never leave it locked up for more than a quick in and out of store runs beer runs etc. just the way it is here i guess (not that i agree with it) personally ive learned my lesson after my 3rd bike was jacked and then started getting heavy duty locks and using only lug nut type fittings on wheels seats etc. anything to make taking things off my bikes atleast take some time and effort and so far its been pretty successful :)

I think they are my favorite bike. They work well with almost any style. I have 2 INB, an M2600, ING for wife. I really want a cycletruck, and for some reason I'm always looking at frames for sale like I need another.

Homeless people often sleep/camp at night under the overpass for protection. Then leave at daylight so as not to be seen. They stash their bikes in the tall grass nearby. Sometimes stash their bikes underground in storm sewers.

The worst thing is that thieves know the police doesn't care and this actually encourages them.
Where I live people often leave their bikes at the train station overnight (because of night shifts); if You take Your bike with You it will cost another fare. On weekends if I am up early enough I ride with my wife there to keep her company until her train comes. It is at least once a week that all the bikes are lying around kicked by some drunkards or there is some bike partially dissassembled. Needless to say this has been going on for years. It is of course very easy for the police or the city to install a camera, but what for? Then they will have more work to do.

I'd check with the local police just in case. I'd hate to find out that a bike I had was stolen from somebody else.

Worksman1.jpg
I agree with making anything you want with it.
I see an young "Indian Tribute" bike on eBay that uses a sawed-off hardwood baseball bat as a tank.
I do not recommend restoring a Worksman to its original state, (unless that's what you really want), only because new and practically identical Worksman bikes may be available for much less cost than if you do it yourself.
After cleaning the bike up, you might even find that your fix-it ideas may be compromised, and find satisfaction in retaining some original parts (?).

I believe that you are doing your community a service by removing the abandoned stuff, and thereby discouraging more of the same.
On vacation this year, I saw a temperate community that places jail bars and boulders (big jagged rocks) under the overpasses.

The 98 serial number reflects what I would call a 1998 bike.

Last edited:
Homeless people often sleep/camp at night under the overpass for protection. Then leave at daylight so as not to be seen. They stash their bikes in the tall grass nearby. Sometimes stash their bikes underground in storm sewers.
the homeless people that inhabit that area all come to my house for showers and are all good friends and they come to my house to repair their bikes and no one has claimed it thus far who live around that overpass..idk. i gave it away to someone who really needed a bike so...

View attachment 80521 I agree with making anything you want with it.
I see an young "Indian Tribute" bike on eBay that uses a sawed-off hardwood baseball bat as a tank.
I do not recommend restoring a Worksman to its original state, (unless that's what you really want), only because new and practically identical Worksman bikes may be available for much less cost than if you do it yourself.
After cleaning the bike up, you might even find that your fix-it ideas may be compromised, and find satisfaction in retaining some original parts (?).

I believe that you are doing your community a service by removing the abandoned stuff, and thereby discouraging more of the same.
On vacation this year, I saw a temperate community that places jail bars and boulders (big jagged rocks) under the overpasses.

The 98 serial number reflects what I would call a 1998 bike.
ya know i have to disagree with that whole jail and rock thing..being a former traveler i have to say that haVING A DECENT BRIDge tocrash undfer to stay out of elements like rain snow and sleet was much better (even being under interstates like 40 80 10 75 and 78 as loud as they are were alot better than breaking into a house left sitting. living abroad man just seems to be getting too cracked down on and for what? i see alot of people out there yeah using man made shelters for getting a fix but i see others even people who pass through my house that are artists (painting bike builders etc.) sober people too not just your average bridge dwelling tweeker (and iver seen those too) i just feel in somne locations you really cant fight it like thaT. THOUGH YEAH THERE SHOULD BE SOME FORM OF WAy to cut down on illegal .... going down but places for people to create or sleep shouldnt be screwed just because of a few junkies. its a hard call idk. just being a travelling artist for years i have some sympathy for people out there trying to make real art and takin g creativity so seriously that that is what they live for.

anyway i found a new bike and i rebuilt it and will post a photo the second i get to a phone with a camera. be patient yall

Latest posts

Back