Lowrider mountain bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this may be an absurd question but is it possible to actually have a lowrider bike and ride it off road and on trails? I know it seems absurd but I have a spare lowrider and want to odd rod it

For easy trails, sure. For anything "technical" better make sure you have a dashboard St. Christopher and a rabbit's foot.:bigboss:

Insurance might be good idea as well. :blackeye: :grin:

It can be done, but would be difficult. Pedal strikes would be an issue, and steering geometry.

Bottom bracket clearance, too. The forks on most lowriders don't look durable enough, either. But if you mean just sticking to a gravel fire road, almost anything can handle that.

Think of it as......would you take a low rider car off road? Probably not....my Intense Mountain bike has full suspension and 13.5" of bottom bracket clearance and I can still hit obstructions hard. So no, a low rider bike or car is a flat surface vehicle!

Well if you have a 20" lowrider frame then you have a basic stingray, which were used in early bmx. But you can't use the springer fork, you could throw an inexpensive landing gear fork on and be fine... shoot a pic of what you have...

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

I do kind of like the idea of going the other way and chopping/customizing a mountain bike into a lowrider.
A lowrider frame with twisted metal parts and whatever other typical cues, outfitted with a mountain bike fork, knobbies, and suitable bars might be a little cool if you pull it off in such a way that it worked.

I feel just as out of place riding my customized Dyno cruiser around here in Seattle where NO ONE else seems to have anything but mountain or road bikes.
But I ride what I ride.

Think of it as......would you take a low rider car off road? Probably not....my Intense Mountain bike has full suspension and 13.5" of bottom bracket clearance and I can still hit obstructions hard. So no, a low rider bike or car is a flat surface vehicle!
Off-Roading a Lowrider Monte Carlo! - Roadkill Ep. 39

Now this may be an absurd question but is it possible to actually have a lowrider bike and ride it off road and on trails? I know it seems absurd but I have a spare lowrider and want to odd rod it
horsefarmer has your solution. You'll just have to figure out how to mount your hydraulics.......good luck with your 100lb+ bike!

NOW we're getting some where...
The cheesy way out is a spring removed to be a lowrider...that when it's in place, you ride offroad...

Carl.

Well if you have a 20" lowrider frame then you have a basic stingray, which were used in early bmx. But you can't use the springer fork, you could throw an inexpensive landing gear fork on and be fine... shoot a pic of what you have...

Carl.

This is a bad picture so I must apologize for that but it's a 20 inch lowrider lovely that I kind of want to do it

The guys from the YouTube Channel tv show, on MotorTrend, from Roadkill, took a Lowrider Off Roading.

I ride trails standing for the most part so Im trying to figure out how that would work.

I think a lowrider mountain bike for the street could be a cool build. Tilt the headtube back and run the chunkiest suspension fork you can find. Oversize knobbies, 165 road bike cranks. Have to figure a way to drop the rear, cut the frame or dropout extensions, laid back post.

There are those cheap double crown forks from Zoom. They look pretty good and while obviously not suitable for freeride or downhill, they might be a good choice for a cruiser/chopper. 20mm axle though.
There was a video on Youtube with some guys jumping from a pick-up truck bed and such, and the fork didn't break. For street or gravel should be fine.

you mean like this?

Latest posts

Back