Dilemma

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am customizing my Shelby Explorer and was really stocked about putting new tires and rims on it. When I tried to mount, found that the bolt which goes through the front hub is a little bigger than the slot it is supposed to slide into.

Need ideas about what to do about this. The back tire fits fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMX-guru sells flat axles.
57_ec8704a9-ed92-4981-88aa-9afc086c7003_1024x1024.jpg

Other places might have them also. You can remove and gently grind your own axle. If the Shelby fork has any future collector value I wouldn't want to grind on it, but that's always a option also.
The store bought flat axle isn't very expensive, take some measurements and see if it will work for you.

Either file 2 flat sides on the axle or the insides of the dropout. Some guys swear by the axle, I've only done the dropouts out of fear of stripped threads.

That pre-flattened axle looks like a winner if it fits.
I can't find it for the life of me, but someone just posted a similar problem with pictures, and the response he got was to grind the flats on the axle, and the original poster replied and said it worked great.

I would file/grind just around the area necessary to install, not the entire length of thread.
Go to BMX-Guru and search flat axle. Tried to post a link but it didn't work. Sounds like you have it covered anyway. Good luck, and post that Shelby! I have a prewar Shelby Rex frame for a future build myself.

I never grind the axle. As a guy who's ground out frames too clear a 14mm axle on my bmx stuff I can't do it. I've also broken those flat 3/8 axles on the front of bikes. Filing the dropouts is always my answer

Latest posts

Back