62 Schwinn Straight Bar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been browsing these forums for years, but have not been active at all. I spend most of my screen time over on bmxmuseum. My new project probably fits in on this site a little better tho, so I decided to post it here.

I've wanted to build a 26er for a long time, BMX style of course. I built up an old KOS Kruiser about 8 years ago or so, but ended up selling it after just a short time. I love the old Cooks and Lagunas, etc, but those are a bit rich for my blood. I decided a Schwinn would do the trick.

While browsing the internet lately, the 62 Typhoons kept catching my eye due to the straight twin top tubes. Seemed a bit more uncommon and unique (which can sometimes contribute to a coolness factor). I figured with the low production of this frame, they may be tough to track down. I searched Craigslist in my area last week and saw this! I picked it up on Saturday. 4 hour round trip. The guy said he has had it about 20 years. I feel pretty lucky to find one immediately. Was not expecting that! Here is a clip of the ad from CL.

Frame CL.jpg

The patina on this thing is great. It's not rusted at all either, just severely worn and faded paint. The Schwinn decals are still visible believe it or not.

This will be a slow build so I'll update as I go. Just thought I'd document the build on RRB's.

Last edited:
Score! Heck yea man. I like where this is goin!!

I built one up a few months back, great frames!!

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/red-bike-‘62-schwinn-typhoon.107699/

Thanks guys. Dizzle, yours was one of the ones that kept popping up in my search actually. I plan on a similar BMX theme with this one.

Parts I have collected so far are an early 90's set of chrome Torker "BMX" style forks, NOS Sugino spider, NOS Sugino chain ring bolts, Takagi OPC, and a really nice set of old Shimano DX pedals. I have a really nice Messenger "springer" saddle as well, but will most likely go with a Brooks B66 or something.

On my wish list are Araya 7X hoops, Bendix coaster, SR or Sunshine front hub, BMXGURU Snakebellies, Tuf Neck stem (probably will go cheap here and opt for an SR or something tho) and I'm undecided on bars. I'd really like some small Crooks bars by Genuine Bicycle but we will see.

I'll need to add some pictures when I get the chance, but I picked up a few more things for the build. I found the Araya 7X's I needed. Got a front hub as well (high flange Suzue). For bars, I went with a pair of "Cooks Bros Longhorns" by Johnny Chopper.

So.... I have collected a few more parts so far. I ended up sending the frame off to get powdered in "original" red. The finish was really bad after looking it over. It had been touched up with red primer at least a couple times in it's life. Had some sort of weird (and runny) yellow paint on it in places too. Many areas had no finish left at all. I was a little bummed cuz I like original finish bikes... oh well. You can't win them all, lol. It should look pretty nice all shiny and new tho!

Arayas and Snakebellies. Need to build up the wheels with my hubs I have for this one....

View attachment 95274
Nice man! Spoke length for a 7x to a red band (3 cross) is 258mm for what it’s worth. 259 works too.
Same for a high flange front hub.
I buy 258mm spoke by boxes of 100 as high flange front and a red band is my hub combo of choice.
Looking forward to seeing this build come together!!

Nice man! Spoke length for a 7x to a red band (3 cross) is 258mm for what it’s worth. 259 works too.
Same for a high flange front hub.
I buy 258mm spoke by boxes of 100 as high flange front and a red band is my hub combo of choice.
Looking forward to seeing this build come together!!

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately I already purchased spokes... 260mm. That was the best information I could find when I was googling around. Wonder if they will be too long. They are cheap enough, I could probably get the correct ones I suppose.

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately I already purchased spokes... 260mm. That was the best information I could find when I was googling around. Wonder if they will be too long. They are cheap enough, I could probably get the correct ones I suppose.
They should be fine. After a mishap with the spoke length calculator I use, I started rounding down a mm or 2.

Latest posts

Back