Rat Rod Bikes Build Off #14?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20190319_084305.jpg
61wXHCXwLbL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
I am a newby around here but very interested in the Build off. I have a lot of ideas for builds but fear they fit more in the "Freak-Bike" category than the Rat Rob category? Example, my first build was a tall bike. am I out of my element here?
Im hoping to get the great Mack Carter to join this year, so you may not be alone in the freakbike side of things!

Well I have a '59 Hawthorne I was planning to do in purple primer... Looks like I'm swapping it to a guy for a '53 Spitfire in crusty orig paint... now I can use the big ol' skiptooth sweetheart sprocket I recently got (from the same guy) and crack open that can of linseed oil I've got. Looking for a rat trap springer now...

Carl.
Anybody else scavenging for Build Off parts?

I am as much as possible . . . which seems to be disappointingly less than I'd like, but in my efforts to stave off hoarding tendencies, I don't have a large stash of parts to choose from.

Well I have a '59 Hawthorne I was planning to do in purple primer... Looks like I'm swapping it to a guy for a '53 Spitfire in crusty orig paint... now I can use the big ol' skiptooth sweetheart sprocket I recently got (from the same guy) and crack open that can of linseed oil I've got. Looking for a rat trap springer now...

Carl.
You got extra points already in my book just for using a skiptooth.

I have a pile of steel, a MIG and a TIG set up and ready to go, two nearly full gas bottles, 2 rolls of mig wire, 5kg of filler rod, 2 jars of metal flake, 40+ scrap bikes and some drawings...

Don't touch that patina...

Yeah yeah "It's only original once"
Well it's been this for 66 years and it's pretty crusty...
The plan was to see what elbow grease and linseed oil will do, if it's not sweet, it's gone...

Carl.

Yeah yeah "It's only original once"
Well it's been this for 66 years and it's pretty crusty...
The plan was to see what elbow grease and linseed oil will do, if it's not sweet, it's gone...

Carl.
Well, ahem, you could say that about some of us too.... "it's been this for 6_ years and it's pretty crusty..."

Hope we last longer than that paint job....

I've tried the patina argument with the ladies, but I ended up going back to showering.

Anyone who really has paid any attention to the thread can see the first mention of this frame also noted linseed oil. The reality of it is that this is a Chicago Schwinn. One of, if not the best, built bikes in the world. Although here just 60 miles south of the city they're pretty easy to find in better condition with more of the original parts intact. So cutting it in half or painting it in a fake patina finish would be no big loss. Except to my own integrity as I weather my own passage thru time...

Carl.

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

Last edited:
The parts pile grows...
The red fenders, Columbia I think, fit good. But those Elgin skirts and peaked fender are calling. Note the cut off stem. The guy ruined the fork too, but I'm going to fix it even if I don't use it this time. I also like those ratty work pop bottle grips.
c2ff43052f3f5e978c16cc508da3e245.jpg

I also heard a rumor that some of the Chicago Taildraggers are getting in the build off...

The parts pile grows...
The red fenders, Columbia I think, fit good. But those Elgin skirts and peaked fender are calling. Note the cut off stem. The guy ruined the fork too, but I'm going to fix it even if I don't use it this time. I also like those ratty work pop bottle grips.
c2ff43052f3f5e978c16cc508da3e245.jpg

Man, my stash is weak.

I also heard a rumor that some of the Chicago Taildraggers are getting in the build off...

So what’s a Chicago Taildragger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have four project bikes, the build rules will probably determine which one I use. I’ve been collecting/hoarding parts since the last Build Off ended. Things specific to my project bikes...things that caught my eye.

So what’s a Chicago Taildragger!

Hey @Skipton, @Onewheelsqueel, @Verrt, @SlyRed and @Pookie42, how many of you guys are in? The Chicago Taildraggers are a beautiful bunch of people who roll together as a family friendly bike club. I'm sure there's a couple more I'm missing. One of my brothers told me he was entering a couple days ago and last year two others built bikes, so... yeah, who's in?

Carl.

Last edited:
Been testing out jig ideas that will be used for the Build-Off bike, needed something to curve some 1/2" RHS into a 13" circle.
Tacked a split 14" rim with a center diameter of 12" to the bench and a bolt as a stop, then inserted the RHS, slid a lever over the top and start bending...
Ended up with a pretty good circle, but too big at 14" diameter, when the time comes I will tack a split 13" rim to the bench and repeat the process! :thumbsup:

IMG_20190320_155515345.jpg
IMG_20190320_155543455.jpg

Latest posts

Back