Twisted Huffy crank

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Picked up a 1950's boys Huffy. Crank seems to be twisted as arms are not 180 deg from each other.
IMG_5078.JPG
Chrome is nice and I'd like to save it.
Any thoughts would be welcome.
IMG_5080.JPG

Thinking maybe heat the non drive arm just away from the threads or the center between the threads to save the chrome and twist with pipe...

Last edited:
Hhmm. Does the crank spin OK in the BB? I'd try that first to make sure things aren't misaligned. Also, did you try pedaling? When cranks get bent the way they usually do, that is 90 degrees from this, the pedals aren't parallel, which makes for annoying pedaling. If this crank feels OK when pedaling, maybe there is no need to straighten it. Have fun!

I saw that on a cheap Walmart bmx that I got for $10.

Hhmm. Does the crank spin OK in the BB? I'd try that first to make sure things aren't misaligned. Also, did you try pedaling? When cranks get bent the way they usually do, that is 90 degrees from this, the pedals aren't parallel, which makes for annoying pedaling. If this crank feels OK when pedaling, maybe there is no need to straighten it. Have fun!
I will assemble in a junk frame and see how it spins. I never rode it but its so far off I would assume it would feel weird to pedal. I will leave assembled if I attempt to untwist to preserve alignment. It looks thinner and more delicate than my other one piece cranks, maybe they bend easy? :D

I will assemble in a junk frame and see how it spins. I never rode it but its so far off I would assume it would feel weird to pedal. I will leave assembled if I attempt to untwist to preserve alignment. It looks thinner and more delicate than my other one piece cranks, maybe they bend easy? :D
That might be a two edged sword. If they bend easy to repair, they will probably bend easy to fail (again) . I'd definitely question the reliability and safety of the part for anything more than a gentle cruise. If you're building a bike that a kid might ride hard, you should probably find a replacement.

I had one like that on a Firestone 500 (Huffy built).
Put a different crank in it @horsefarmer. I just used one from a Murray. Too weird to pedal like that.
That might be a two edged sword. If they bend easy to repair, they will probably bend easy to fail (again) . I'd definitely question the reliability and safety of the part for anything more than a gentle cruise. If you're building a bike that a kid might ride hard, you should probably find a replacement.
Just remembered, had a Huffy muscle bike round about 1969 and I broke a crank like this one, one of the threaded holes for the pedal was drilled off center and the too thin cast just broke, Huffy replaced it tho. :p
Just gonna try to straighten it, see how it comes out. Not for heavy duty use/casual cruise only. :forum:

Last edited:
Make a press out of a bottle jack and use a cement block for the base. Clamp the straight arm on the cement and use a pipe or 4 x 4 attached to the jack top and the other end of the pipe to a sturdy dead man, like a tree limb, corner rafter or metal work bench with an angle brace between the bottom of the bench legs. You may have to put a thin hardwood block under the unpressed arm and spindle to over correct. Put scrap hardwood flooring under the base so the clamps aren't resting on the floor. It should go right back as it will have a memory, used this technique many times for similar things but not a crank.

Latest posts

Back