Parts pile build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had got this frame from idiotboy a while ago and finally got around to playing with it. My spaceliner build is currently on hold because I have project ADD, so this made its way onto the bench. It was previously repaired and was very bent when I started, I managed to get the frame straight-ish (took a little cutting, bending and welding near the older repair. Needless to say the weld job looks terrible because I'm still learning. The fork came off a Columbia Sport III, clearly a Schwinn Exerciser chain wheel and crank, bars off some other Columbia I had cut up a while back, wheels and tires from some department store beach cruiser which are so bent it's tricky to ride, seat was something that has been in the parts pile for probably 10 years at this point.

Really the only thing that cost any money was buying the exercise bike for $10, and the 5/8" rod I needed to make a seat post for this thing the rest was free. I'll throw up more details and some other pictures soon.

IMG-20190404-215758.jpg

Heck yeah!!!!!!! Looks like it will be a fun build! I'd like to find a similar frame design for my next build. That front sprocket is very cool, and I dig the foot straps.

Heck yeah!!!!!!! Looks like it will be a fun build! I'd like to find a similar frame design for my next build. That front sprocket is very cool, and I dig the foot straps.
Getting it moving is a big of a challenge, need a much larger cog in the back. I refuse to buy anything else for if so let's see where this ends up going

Dropping a few more pictures of the build:

Took some 5/8" bar stock and a chunk of an old seat post to make one for this thing.
IMG-20190403-154028.jpg

IMG-20190403-154034.jpg

Definitely was not a straight frame, it took a lot of work to get this thing close to straight (ignore the messy garage)
IMG-20190404-141448.jpg

IMG-20190404-142628.jpg

A few cuts to the frame in order to twist it around a bit.
IMG-20190404-141852.jpg

My welds aren't pretty but it's holding so that's step 1, just gotta keep practicing
IMG-20190404-145508.jpg

Thinking about putting this Schwinn rack on the front. Gonna have to make some brackets for it if I go this way. Probably make a sissy bar since those chrome supports on the seat aren't the most stable things and it wiggles while I pedal. The original cog on the back was an 18t and it was a pain to pedal, I popped a 20t on it and it's getting better, next step is the 22t that I have on order which should make it fairly easy to pedal.
IMG-20190404-164526.jpg

How many teeth are on that front sucker?? Lookin good, I dig the rack. I think a sissy would look great on this. My welding skills are not where I'd like them to be either... makes me spend more time grinding than I'd like... but like you said practice makes perfect ;)

How many teeth are on that front sucker?? Lookin good, I dig the rack. I think a sissy would look great on this. My welding skills are not where I'd like them to be either... makes me spend more time grinding than I'd like... but like you said practice makes perfect ;)
It's a 65 tooth chainring. They come on the Schwinn exercise bikes. I'm gonna get into some brackets and a sissy bar this weekend

DANG hahaha, that's pretty dang big. I dig it though. 65x22 will put you at 77.58 gear inches. Do-able, but still pretty high, at least for me. On my single speed and fixed gear bicycles I'm usually 65-70 gear inches. You might be one of those fella's with legs of steel though! Plus once you get going that's probly not too bad on flat-ish ground. :thumbsup:

DANG hahaha, that's pretty dang big. I dig it though. 65x22 will put you at 77.58 gear inches. Do-able, but still pretty high, at least for me. On my single speed and fixed gear bicycles I'm usually 65-70 gear inches. You might be one of those fella's with legs of steel though! Plus once you get going that's probly not too bad on flat-ish ground. :thumbsup:

It's definitely not easy haha, a 24t might happen, or get one larger made for me. I'll see how it goes, if anything it will just make me stronger lol

Cool build!
I seem to remember someone mentioning separating a 5 speed freewheel and just filing off three of the six little tabs inside the sprockets to give you bigger sizes.

I run a 65t with similar issues. The 24t Sturmey Archer is the largest common 3 spline coaster cog. I've seen a rather costly custom 26th. You can weld so it should be possible to combine a coaster and cassette cog. If the weld fails you'll just end up in the emergency room is all.

I have a guy who could cut one for me if I need to. I might give Luke's idea a try too.

The tricky part is knowing which model to separate. I've taken apart several freewheels and packs an none could be used for a coaster hub. Wish Luke could remember where he saw it.
I will try find it...

https://www.amazon.com/Aceoffix-Cas...39211&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spell-spons&th=1&psc=1

These have a lot of potential to work they go all the way to 32. If I dont like the 24t I might go this way. I swapped the pedals out yesterday and it was a little better, I couldn't get my feet into the straps enough to get any good pedaling power. Might be swapping the saddle out for something different too. I should probably jump back on the Spaceliner build soon but this one is just too much fun.

That thing looks like a blast.

I need one of those monster exerciser sprockets
It is a blast to ride around, I went to one of the rich areas of town and took it down the bike path last night and got some weird looks. I did manage 27mph on a flat with it so it would fly with different wheels and tires on it. It weighs about a metric ton lol

Perhaps it may have been a cassette cog :oops:
The tabs can be re-shaped and the rest removed...that's it. Just need some dremel skillz.
View attachment 92106

NOT crazy, just uncommon which is probably why there are few mentions.
That must have been what I was thinking of! Sorry about your wasted time pulling apart the freewheels!

Keeping the theme of everything from the parts pile going into this I made a few additions, a bat holder made out of some old chain I welded together, and a lean back seat post made from a piece of seat post welded to a lug wrench I cut up. That little bit of space it gave me makes a world of difference riding it, I may switch out for a big fat seat or I'll have to make a sissy bar when I find the right thing to turn into one.

IMG-20190428-161850.jpg

IMG-20190504-172508.jpg

IMG-20190504-175320.jpg

Latest posts

Back