Spoke advice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24" Felt rear wheel with 12 gauge spokes. I'm going with a multi-speed hub which requires shorter spokes. I would love to cut and roll my own spokes, but I don't have a spoke threader (roller?), and I don't want to break the bank. So my questions are:

1) How much do I need to spend on tools to cut and roll my current spokes? It probably won't be my last time doing this, so I'll factor that into the cost. (any links to adequate tools you've used would be appreciated)

2) How much should I expect to pay a bike shop to adjust my spokes to length?

3) Would new spokes be my most economical option? My concern here is a different finish on the spokes than the front spokes.

Thanks in advance!

1. The tools can range from $60 to several thousand.

2. A bike shop won’t cut and rethread your spokes. They will suggest new spokes.

3. Yes. There is a seller on eBay that will custom cut spokes for you. I think his name on the is okjimbogarage or something similar. I can link to it later. You can get 36 12g spokes for around $25 shipped.

(For what it’s worth, i build wheels professionally. The eBay seller I mentioned somehow provides better pricing then ‘cost’)

I highly recommend the edd Leonard spoke calculator.

Bmxguru has great spoke prices cut to length not sure if they carry 12g.
Run thru the spoke calculator and see if you can increase the cross and use your existing spokes. Many 12g are 2 cross. Can you bump up to 3 or 4 cross.

:21: 4 cross 12g, itll be a really strong rim.

PM what size you need, I have 36 12g from a new wheel I bought and tore down, was never ridden. We might get lucky.

1. The tools can range from $60 to several thousand.

2. A bike shop won’t cut and rethread your spokes. They will suggest new spokes.

3. Yes. There is a seller on eBay that will custom cut spokes for you. I think his name on the is okjimbogarage or something similar. I can link to it later. You can get 36 12g spokes for around $25 shipped.

(For what it’s worth, i build wheels professionally. The eBay seller I mentioned somehow provides better pricing then ‘cost’)

I highly recommend the edd Leonard spoke calculator.

I finally ordered a rear hub, and have determined I will need 8mm shorter spokes.

I found the seller on Ebay. The 12g Sapim spokes are under $28 shipped, which sounds pretty good. The Wheelmaster are more than double the cost. I'm wondering which spokes would better match the OEM Felt spokes.

I'm gonna call a few of the better bike shops around town to check on the cut and rethread, since my wheelset came off a brand new bike, and the spokes are still new. I'm still considering investing in the tools.

Thanks!

Bmxguru has great spoke prices cut to length not sure if they carry 12g.
Run thru the spoke calculator and see if you can increase the cross and use your existing spokes. Many 12g are 2 cross. Can you bump up to 3 or 4 cross.

:21: 4 cross 12g, itll be a really strong rim.

PM what size you need, I have 36 12g from a new wheel I bought and tore down, was never ridden. We might get lucky.

I need 224mm spokes. The ones I took out of old old hub are 232mm. The flange diameter of my new hub is almost identical to the front high flange hub, so I want to keep the same spoke pattern (OCD).

If you have spokes from a 24" Felt front wheel with the high flange hub they would be perfect.

Latest posts

Back