Rat Rod Bikes Build Off #14?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never competed in 1 of the build offs before. Looking for some clarification. It looks like from some of the posts here, buying parts ahead of time is fine. I just rebuilt a wheel I had today, if I use it during my build does count as starting early, or is it the same as just buying a wheel early? I haven't even committed to a frame, so I don't know if I will be using the 20" wheel anyway. Thanks.
0427191318.jpg

Of course ,being in England , it's May 1st at least 5 hours earlier than those in the states! Lol

And of course, here in New Zealand, we're about 18 hours or something ahead. :nod:

Don't think I'll be participating this year though. Having said that... you guys do make it hard to stay away with all your shenanigans and crazy ideas. Plus, I had my three bikes at a car display yesterday (along with two of my builds now owned by RRB forum member @Endlesschain and his bikes) and after looking at my newly rebuilt Glenderson, a few people did ask what my next one will be.

We'll see :39:

Glen.

Of course ,being in England , it's May 1st at least 5 hours earlier than those in the states! Lol
And of course, here in New Zealand, we're about 18 hours or something ahead. :nod:

Don't think I'll be participating this year though. Having said that... you guys do make it hard to stay away with all your shenanigans and crazy ideas. Plus, I had my three bikes at a car display yesterday (along with two of my builds now owned by RRB forum member @Endlesschain and his bikes) and after looking at my newly rebuilt Glenderson, a few people did ask what my next one will be.

Glen.
While yes, some parts of the earth do start May 1st earlier, we use the same time as everyone else for the build-off: USA CST

Never competed in 1 of the build offs before. Looking for some clarification. It looks like from some of the posts here, buying parts ahead of time is fine. I just rebuilt a wheel I had today, if I use it during my build does count as starting early, or is it the same as just buying a wheel early? I haven't even committed to a frame, so I don't know if I will be using the 20" wheel anyway. Thanks.View attachment 93465
It is a gray area.
Building a wheel up specially for a build-off bike ahead of time would be wrong, but if you had a pair of custom wheels already made and happened to decide to use them on your build that would be fine.

Basically from what I have seen, unless someone is blatantly trying to gain an "advantage" we let the builders conscience decide.

Cool looking bike! Vaguely remember that name but don't remember ever seeing this bike. Frame almost looks modern. Did you fix that up for your neighbor or is that part of your stable?
I built this on the side, not a part of any build offs. Nope, Don just said one day that he had his bike that he got when he was 12 for using to deliver papers hanging in his attic of the garage. Noticed I had been dragging bikes back to the shed for a couple years, thought I might like to have it.

I wanted to try the Monark repop springer on a build, and this seemed like a good candidate. And the hairpin saddle needed a long frame to fit on. The combo, with the plus sized tires, is like riding a full suspension bike!

Glen.
yup I will give it a miss this time around too but probably will be in for next time as i may have gathered more bits and pieces by then,Glen I truly believe Glenderson would have won if it was judged by the hotrod guys but with the ladies judging sparkling like a diamond wins:bigsmile:

yup I will give it a miss this time around too but probably will be in for next time as i may have gathered more bits and pieces by then,Glen I truly believe Glenderson would have won if it was judged by the hotrod guys but with the ladies judging sparkling like a diamond wins:bigsmile:

Yeah... no chance against lowrider bling and unicorn bikes! Happy to get 3rd though.

Back from Memory Lane and had a great time. Last year, at Memory Lane, I bought a junk Wingbar frame that nobody else wanted and turned it into "Stylish Trash" (my first attempt at a build-off bike). I really liked having no clue as to what I was building less than a week before the build-off started. So, I wanted to do the same thing this year. I believe that I have found a bike that is actually rattier and more obscure than the Wingbar. One of the names that I am considering is: "Made in the shade". Any guesses???

Hmmmm, following this thread makes me think...

I still have two leftover frames hanging on the basement wall awaiting completion: the Cycl'o'path from BO12 and the remnants of my BarrelBanana from BO11. And then there are some boxes full with various parts.

If I jump in, it will be probably late in the game, because I will have no time for proper building work before end of June...

We will see...

Gesendet von meinem K00Y mit Tapatalk

It is a gray area.
Building a wheel up specially for a build-off bike ahead of time would be wrong, but if you had a pair of custom wheels already made and happened to decide to use them on your build that would be fine.

Basically from what I have seen, unless someone is blatantly trying to gain an "advantage" we let the builders conscience decide.

Thanks! At the moment I am leaning towards the 26" set up so this will probably be on another bike entirely.

I nominate May 1st as “National Rat Rod Bikes Day”, a day of planning, building, riding and all things rat Rod Bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I nominate May 1st as “National Rat Rod Bikes Day”, a day of planning, building, riding and all things rat Rod Bikes.
International Rat Rod Bikes Day”
:forum::happy:

OK, “International Rat Rod Bikes Day” it is!

:39: What about using a bike that was started in another build off but not completed?

For WBO 2018 I started Quadruped but it didn’t get finished and it’s been just sitting there. I’d be basically starting over but with the frame already done.

Is that any different to starting with a factory built frame? o_O

Possibly changing to standard rear triangle and forks for two wheels instead of Quadrupeds four.

Thoughts?

Glen.

Latest posts

Back