US-89

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completely agree about US-89. We have driven that road, and stopped along the way, on our way home from Arizona the past two years. Absolutely the most scenic byway in the USA!

Just a couple of shots from the Bryce Canyon area of Utah for those that haven't driven that way.

59144797_2307889182596120_5158519158610067456_n.jpg

59701704_328116114554327_8689877905452302336_n.jpg

RaT oN~!

I completely agree about US-89. We have driven that road, and stopped along the way, on our way home from Arizona the past two years. Absolutely the most scenic byway in the USA!

Just a couple of shots from the Bryce Canyon area of Utah for those that haven't driven that way.

View attachment 93785
View attachment 93786

RaT oN~!
@OddJob beautiful, thanks for the pics! Later today I'll pile up some parts and we well get a taste of what is to come. US-89.

Schwinn patented the Cantilever Frame in the late 30's, the design has definitely stood up to the test of time. I bought this from thebigorangecat, I believe I'm the 3rd RRB member to own this frame. The frame has previously been in a Build Off. 1980 USA Schwinn. Going to take a look and evaluate what I have here, then start grinding on this baby!

Ape hangers also.
20190501_165117.jpg

Gerter fork. I dig the theory of the gerter fork, unlike a regular springer fork that rotates in a arch, the gerter geometry (supposedly) moves in more of a straight up down motion. Will that difference in geometry have much effect on this bike? Unlikely, but man does that thing look sweet, and suspension is nice to have. Just something a little different from the normal to keep my interest. Hey, Look! A squirrel!
20190501_165136.jpg

Spanking new take offs. Shamano 7 speed. Tires have to go. Brooks.

20190501_165236.jpg

Yep, it's going to be a Bobber!

Schwinn patented the Cantilever Frame in the late 30's, the design has definitely stood up to the test of time. I bought this from thebigorangecat, I believe I'm the 3rd RRB member to own this frame. The frame has previously been in a Build Off. 1980 USA Schwinn. Going to take a look and evaluate what I have here, then start grinding on this baby!

Ape hangers also.
View attachment 93894

Gerter fork. I dig the theory of the gerter fork, unlike a regular springer fork that rotates in a arch, the gerter geometry (supposedly) moves in more of a straight up down motion. Will that difference in geometry have much effect on this bike? Unlikely, but man does that thing look sweet, and suspension is nice to have. Just something a little different from the normal to keep my interest. Hey, Look! A squirrel!
View attachment 93895

View attachment 93896
I'd like to take off with your take offs!

20190507_125523.jpg

Ok, here is a update. The 7 speed hub has no brake, you can add a roller brake to the hub but I chose to go v- brake. I have some brake bosses i was going to braze on but they aren't offset enough to get the spacing I want. They would probably work out fine, I'm going to run just the one rear brake so I'm going a little OCD to get it right where she should be. I ordered new brake bosses with more offset. So give me a week for them to arrive and I'll have some forward progress to show.

Ape hangers also.
View attachment 93894

View attachment 93895

View attachment 93896

Lovin' that Frame :rockout:

Lovin' that Frame :rockout:
As beat up cosmetically as it looked, the frame seems very straight and solid. The dropouts are nice and everything looks good. I thought briefly about keeping that ratty paint, but brazing and gringing on it I decided I'm going to paint or have it powder coated. The sticker of a Guy Fawkes mask on Micky Mouse has to go, and I'll braze the badge holes while I'm at it. Original plan was grind off chain guard and fender tabs, now I don't think so, when my brake bosses come in and I get them installed I'll do a mockup with and without the guard and fender and decide. US-89.

Still waiting on my brake bosses, no real progress. This came in the mail today. Made in USA. They are going to look good on the app hangers. Got a extra set for future build.
IMG_20190510_135344643.jpg

Speaking of app hangers...
Harley made massive amounts of war time motorcycless (during the big one WW 2), they were in Europe, Africa, the Pacific, everywhere. A legend (l don't believe it has been proven) was that that the enemy would string a wire across a road to injure our military personnel riding motorcycles. As a safety measure some of our boys fabricated taller handlebars to protect themselves from the wire. They created the app hangers. I have no idea if this is truth or fiction. No matter, the ape hangers is 100 persent pure American culture bona fide.

Last edited:
That girder fork is awesome. Please tell me you've made some progress on this build.

Ditto! We want to see this thing built~!
Thanks guys. Very little progress, but what has been done I'm pleased with. As much as I ldig this hobby it is somewhat of a selfish pleasure and gets put on the back burner occasionally, you all can relate I'm sure. I'm leaving for a week, but I am planning to give it heck when I get back. Here are some pics.
1562792905558716585476969943078.jpg
Added brake bosses. Had to put them on the bottom because they would interfere with the bracket on the top.
15627929499902837542826848890741.jpg

I think they came out sweet.
15627929714238570732268530593716.jpg

Add some holes and gussets for in tube routeing.
15627930024784819810491227651852.jpg

Keep the top tube fairly clean.

I could have put a long reach caliper break on, but I just never been happy with them. Running just one brake I oppted for a V brake. So there you have it, not much so far. Thanks for the interest, like I said when I get back from my latest escapade I plan on more serious time on it.
Thanks!

Beautiful brazing! Maybe you should call it the Brazen Hussy.

Latest posts

Back