Chainwheel screws.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, guys, I have a problem with the chain line with one bike. It has a threaded bottom bracket. I can't seem to find a single offset chainwheel so I plan on using the largest chainwheel from a MTB triple chainwheel crankset - with the hope that it will be further outside. I found the chainwheels and the spider, but I don't find the bolts anymore.
Here the spider with the large chainwheel, I have the othe two as well. They are a single unit I think. I think I can space it out too to bring it more to the outside, I have may be 5-6mm more before the chain would touch the crankarm. We'll see.
My question is what are the bolts/screws that I need? Can I actually use normal bolts?
20190427_171023.jpg

You need chainring bolts like these. They're a precise fit.

61F9EElFEAL._SL1500_.jpg

You can also get chainring spacers.

chainringspacers_401d7f1c-f66f-4e93-b6c6-ba2e8856b6e5_800x.jpg

Should probably get bolts that say they are for a double ring if you plan on running spacers.

Now I noticed that the bolts connecing the two smaller chainwheels together look smaller than the holes on the spider and the big chainwheel... They also don't seem to match any of my allen keys, but are iin between sizes. So, what do I need to know to get the right ones? Would the LBS have them or do I have to order them online?
20190427_203313.jpg

Just ask for chainring bolts for a double ring and you'll get what you need for that ring and spacers. Or you can get them for a single ring if you want to try without the spacers. Chainring bolts are a fairly standard part. Not sure what those small ones are. Never seen those.

Is it the correct BB spindle for that frame? It wouldn't be terribly expensive to get the correct part in there to build it right. Those chainring bolts and spacers somehow end up being really expensive for what you get.

A lot of the lower cost cranks use a pressed rivet instead of chainring bolts, looks like the smaller rings you have are riveted together.
Agree chainring bolts are best.

If you want to rat it up you could use bolts, but they should have a shoulder thats a tight fit to the hole. Chainrings should not rest on threads. Theyll move around. It will be Difficult to find a short shoulder bolt with the correct dimensions of diameter and shoulder width.

Ive been taking the cheapo riveted 3 pc and cutting the largest and smallest ring off to do single speed 26" cruisers. Tooth count on the middle ring sometimes allows you to use a 16-18 tooth freewheel and have a decent gear.
You can see one here, polished crank arm and spray painted sprocket.
20180415_125729.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back