Huffy Daisy Tandem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Picked up this Huffy Daisy Daisy tandem for a project to keep me busy over the winter to keep me from going stir crazy.
I’ve heard these were made from 1961-64. Please let me know if I’m wrong and how to verify.
A0D5F0A4-0D75-4C40-96D4-C312C527F9BD.jpeg

28AD90FB-ABA0-4656-8DFF-308ACADDAC60.jpeg

The first thing was a complete disassembly followed by rust removal.

Nice. Mine looked way worse when I first got it and I painted it the same color. The first time... Then I painted it black.
0718141720a1.JPG

It always seemed to be flexing too much, so I tore it apart and cut it a little and added a bit here and there... next thing you know it wasn't a tandem any more!
KIMG0685.JPG

Like most of my bikes there's always things here and there that change. I may be putting a two speed kickback on it soon...

Carl.

Nice. Mine looked way worse when I first got it and I painted it the same color. The first time... Then I painted it black.View attachment 93736
It always seemed to be flexing too much, so I tore it apart and cut it a little and added a bit here and there... next thing you know it wasn't a tandem any more!
View attachment 93737
Like most of my bikes there's always things here and there that change. I may be putting a two speed kickback on it soon...

Carl.
I really like the restored version. I’m getting real close to being done.

The powdercoat picture shows a guard. What happened? I do have a decent one, it has a notch cut in it tho... but I'm not using it...

Carl.

The powdercoat picture shows a guard. What happened? I do have a decent one, it has a notch cut in it tho... but I'm not using it...

Carl.
It’s just too banged up and creased to measure up to the rest of the restoration. It would be hard to capture possibly in a photograph, but it’s pretty ugly. The metal filler I used was not hi temp and burned away.

I've owned 2 of these. The rear seat tube bends right where the two thin horizontal tubes meet up with the seat tube. It is a common flaw in many tandem and girls frame designs. A tip to keep the seat tube from bending is to hammer an extra seat post down inside the seat tube. Get that spare seat post in the vicinity of the intersection to reinforce it. It may be bent a bit already. I used a car scissors jack to get one straight enough to force a spare seat post in there.

Sucks about the guard, but It wouldn't prevent me from using it! still looks good imo. If you really hate it, I'd strip it, fill the pin hole area with weld and grind it / have it re coated... but again, I think it looks just fine! Great job on the build. That is a really cool tandem frame. Love how it has a step-over style frame on the back.

Unfortunately the chain guard was too far gone to salvage ... so if anyone has a nice straight one
View attachment 93777
View attachment 93778
I built a tandem for my daughter's wedding in their wedding colors. AllI had was a frame and fork. If you can't find a chain guard you could do like I did, at least temporarily, use the round guards that go beyond the big chainwheel on old one piece crank 10 speeds. I put a drum brake on the front of mine for safety as everyone rode it during the wedding. If a chain brakes with no front brake it is a mess with two people. The coaster is marginal with two people anyway. One of my friends crashed his tandem, no brakes and he and his wife ended out in the ER. The cops came and had a talk with him about spouse abuse but no charges. I guess the ER staff felt that it was a bad idea to take a tandem down a huge hill without a front brake. These inexpensive tandems do wobble and are hard to ride but can be fun.

Latest posts

Back