Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice!

Thank you! Still needs to go on a truing stand but a test fit of the fork shows just enough clearance for the tires side to side.
0511191837.jpg

Starting to dive into the rear wheel....good thing I planned rebuilding it anyway. Most of the spokes just snapped the instant I tried turning the nipples. I got 1 from either side for a measurement...not that it will be accurate for the new rim. Getting into the hub first, other than being dirty it looks decent inside.
0512191652.jpg

Interesting brake arm. Actually everything about this bike so far is just a little unexpected but in a cool way.

At first I was with @LukeTheJoker at the beginning about the headtube looking pushed back at the bottom. But after seeing the Murray that @Bike Bum posted it seems that it was made that way. I'm curious to see the springer on it!

Last edited:
Interesting brake arm. Actually everything about this bike so far is just a little unexpected but in a cool way.

At first I was with @LukeTheJoker at the beginning about the headtube looking pushed back at the bottom. But after seeing the Murray that @Bike Bum posted it seems that it was made that way. I'm curious to see the springer on it!
Glad to see people taking an interest in the bike, the build or both!! I have been checking out as many of the other builds as time will allow me to...there is a lot of great works out there. Just happy to take part. The headtube definitely did require some straightening, and I had to weld a crack in the downtube right below the where it joins the neck. There was a bulge and a crack, went head on with something that pushed back. It is a lot better than it was at this time though.

I saw that too, I wonder if it is the slight straightening of the curve in the canti tubes that throws us off?

That brake arm is very similar to the ones used originally on many USSR made bikes

The brake arm is 1 of those features that makes me wonder why all other coaster arms didn't end up similar....instead of the familiar arm and metal band.

When it comes to USSR made bikes it's simple - they changed the style of the rear dropouts, and after that those brake arms would be much tougher to fit on the frame - tried it with the two of my Ukrainas - the frame used in this Build-Off has rear dropouts, and the second one has front dropouts. Tried to put the wheel with that arm on the frame with front dropouts, and it was impossible.

Had a bit of a break from this project recently while I do some light home remodeling and other adult non-sense like go to work....Tracking info says my parts to convert the shell to a standard bottom bracket should arrive today. Still unclear if they will work....or will work with some modification.....or will not work at all. We shall see by days end tomorrow.

You have the right approach to this custom rat rod bike building Ethan; high hopes and low expectations! :21:

We base our hopes on "if it works it will be really cool", but our reality is "it may have to be modified to work". That's where the real fun comes in.

Looking forward to your continued progress reports! RaT oN~!

You have the right approach to this custom rat rod bike building Ethan; high hopes and low expectations! :21:

We base our hopes on "if it works it will be really cool", but our reality is "it may have to be modified to work". That's where the real fun comes in.

Looking forward to your continued progress reports! RaT oN~!
Modification will be needed...

So these are the conversion parts I got....advertised as 41mm, but not specified as to if that is the inside, outside, the flange on the face etc. When they arrived, it is the outside of what would fit inside the BB shell, mine is 40mm. Made to be a pressfit with oring seal.
0519191205.jpg
After machining the first 1, it looks like everything is going work out with my evil plans so far. Pressfit, no longer using the O-rings
0519191248.jpg
Finally both done and ready to go. Here is a pic showing the machining set up.
0519191250.jpg
For anyone who doesn't know, it is totally possible to machine softer metals like aluminum and brass using your wood lathe

So where does the coffin tank mount.maybe I missed it. Neat piece of the puzzle.

Latest posts

Back