'62 Schwinn 24'' cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
At the BmxSociety show I was lucky enough to acquire a 24 inch '62 double straight bar frame and fork. I've had a NOS chrome 24'' kickin around for awhile now, and had hopes of finding the right frame for my tastes to build a lil swap meet cruiser. As one of my favorite Schwinn frames ever, this absolutely fits the bill.
I will be building this with only parts on hand. As it will prob sit outside/in my shed vs my garage, I won't be going too crazy with it. Just a fun, quick build.
Oh, and I intend for it to be finished by tomorrow night.

image1.jpeg

image1 (1).jpeg

Sorted out a headset from a few donors. The crown race for the fork ended up being a 27.0. Luckily I found one on a springer fork I'm not currently using.
image1 (2).jpeg

NOS no more
image2 (1).jpeg

I like to leave the steerer tube just a lil longer then needed in case the fork ever finds its way to another build. I based the length off a 24'' BMX I have and added a 1/8''

An old 1 1/8'' fork works good to set a crown race FWIW
image3.jpeg

Got the fork installed
image4.jpeg

Cleaned up some parts that will be used
image5.jpeg

The BB cups in the frame were super crusty. Decided to swap em out. Having the proper tools makes all the difference
image6.jpeg

This is going to be very cool!
Thanks Luke. Should be a fun lil bike.

I got the bb, crank, and pedals in yesterday, but didn’t take a pic. I tried a few bars on and am still undecided.
I have an old brooks saddle for it, and am trying to decide on a regular on layback seatpost.

Grabbed the wheels off this bike I’ve had laying at work for a few months that was brought to me out of a free pile.

F1F40356-0009-491A-B9D7-BF2000CE21F4.jpeg

I’d like to do all black tires. It the whitewalls will do for now. Can’t beat the price.

Well, finished it up. Got the wheels home and adjusted the hubs, cleaned them up, and patched the tubes. I ended up test fitting this layback seatpost that already had a seat on it, so I left it on there.
I tried 5 sets of bars, from BMX to moto to a few different beach bars. Decided on a lil higher rise beach bar with full foam grips.

image2 (3).jpeg

image2 (2).jpeg

image1 (4).jpeg

Fun lil bike that will serve its purpose as a swap meet runner and neighborhood kick around bike.
As time goes on I hope to find higher end parts for it and possibly paint it. But I'm happy with it for now!

Done yet? :grin:
Actually...

3A581BEC-6953-4667-B034-3E0BD4E6DCF7.jpeg

EF463745-C5E9-4DE0-BDCA-FD56F19A9977.jpeg

Not quite done done, but close to what I envisioned. I went to put the original forks on, only to realize they were super bent at the steerer. I do have another pair of Schwinn 24” forks, but they’re off a girls bike, so I need to chase the threads down the steerer and cut it. I’ll try to do that Monday or Tuesday after work. I’d also like to put a ‘mag’ sprocket on it. But no real rush.

Fits me much better now too. Fun lil rider.

YES. Being 5'6", I am a big fan of 24" frames because I can get away with riding them. I have three 24" muscle bikes and I'm always on the lookout for parts to build a BMX or strandie-type cruiser. This one with the straight bar frame is amazing.

I like the fork on there too. Provides enough extra chrome.
What are the tires? They are a huge improvement too.
I do like how the chrome looks as well. But I’m going for a more early 60s feel, and the fork is early 80s. I do like how much clearance there is in that fork though.

Thanks @rrtbike The tires are some 2.3 kenda’s I found on sale. The thread wraps all the way to the rim. Really like em. The black walls make a huge impact, which I feel works better.

I recently passed one a cool 24 inch frame because wheels are harder to find used around me. I like the way this one turned out.

Latest posts

Back