Funky quilless fake headset

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nothing says I'm old like a skip tooth drive, gallows seat post or a funky quilless head set. I made one from an old headset cup, a sawed off seat post clamp, an old headset race, a piece of threaded fork tube and a headset nut.

Real ones:
Arrow-braced-adjustable-stem-150x150.jpg
CCHS6-Chater-Lea-tandem_sml.jpg

My homemade fake: The bike frame clamp was not straight at the top and was sawed off a little crooked. I just wanted to see if I could make one. There are slight gaps on the top and bottom screwed on parts. The next one will be made out of new chrome parts and will be straight. What do you think, is it a fake that will fool people?
IMG_1433.JPG

Real quilless swan neck stem with my fake funky headset. I don't have a bike this will fit on. I'll probably put on a cut off handlebar to make a T so you can grab it when it becomes a beer keg tapper.
IMG_1434.JPG

I encountered my first and only 'quilless' stem about three weeks ago and it had everybody in the shop stumped. It was secured by an inverted wedge and stem bolt that needed to be accessed from the bottom of the steerer tube, once the brake assembly was removed.

A nice piece of oak carved would be a sweet T on your tapper. Maybe 2" out each side with rounded ends would be easiest. But if you have a router rig you could do fancy ends too.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back