The Streamliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started to make the bracket which will support the front wheel cover. Massively over engineered of course!

A strip of steel was cut then the edges were folded down.
DSC_0382.JPG

Then the edges were put through the shrinker to make it curve
DSC_0383.JPG

Then into the power hammer to give the centre some shape
DSC_0384.JPG

Then I made a small bracket and welded it in place
DSC_0385.JPG
DSC_0388.JPG
DSC_0386.JPG

Next I'll made a couple of front supports that will drop down to the fork ends. Once it's in the right place I'll weld in some gussets to strengthen the top mount, and some captive nuts.
The aluminium wheel cover will sit over this bracket and fix through to the captive nuts.

Although I've gone self employed, I'm still in the same workshop as my old boss. This gives me access to the nice tools. Shortly I'll be moving into my own workshop. So then I'll be back to basic tools. That's why I'm making the most of what I have here at the moment!

It's just too..... too....... Bland!

So, I'm thinking, maybe swage a swirl into it, or cut a shape into it, or chuck it in the bin altogether.

I'll sleep on it.

So, I'm thinking, maybe swage a swirl into it, or cut a shape into it, or chuck it in the bin altogether.

I'll sleep on it.

Bead roller!

garbage-lid-500x500.jpg

Not to make it look like a bin lid or imply it does now. But some nice concentric circles on it might break up that flat profile

Yes I really like that. Quite "Art Deco" too :)

And if you didn't want to roll beads in there, you could cut them as slots with a mesh of some kind behind for a 'grille' look... perhaps o_O

Glen.

Looks like a streamliner to me. I wouldn't commit to anything stylistically until you have more of the bodywork on there. I don't think it will be so bland as part of a whole.

On another note I was thinking you might want to ad some holes or openings to it for cross winds. Not sure how much you plan to ride it but something to consider.

I'll sleep on it.

Maybe something like in that little trailer of mine (used to be a 60ties stroller)
SAM_6605.jpg

SAM_6606.jpg

Shoud be no problem to achieve with all that tools and skills of yours... ;-)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back