"Rolling Heavy in the Burbs" 1973 Schwinn Suburban

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever I've had problems with quick release on thin drop outs it's usually the spring getting pinched in there. Try the skewer with the springs removed. Schwinn sold a lot of those frames with quick release rear hubs. You're just missing the space on the drive side from the derailleur hanger.

Rack should look good if you can get it level or raked forward slightly. Probably is powder coated. Lots of sanding or burn it off. Or just scuff it if you're going to paint.

Last edited:
Yesterday I got a kids bike from the brand BTwin or some other cheap brand like that. Instead of quick realese the axle was tightened with a screw & a nut in the shape of the nut that is always on quick realeses, but they both were made for a 5mm hexagonal wrench. That could be the answer.

Yesterday I got a kids bike from the brand BTwin or some other cheap brand like that. Instead of quick realese the axle was tightened with a screw & a nut in the shape of the nut that is always on quick realeses, but they both were made for a 5mm hexagonal wrench. That could be the answer.
See the Halo option I quoted above.

I get that error sometimes when I don't wait 10 secs or so between typing in text in a comment and trying to post a photo. There have been issues with this previously, perhaps @Rat Rod can help.

Cool bike!
Here's my 71 Suburban with 700 hybrid 8-speed mock-up.
20190613_190905.jpg

But it's a little too tall for my comfort. Maybe if it had the right seat and bars.

Also got one of those Schwinn racks, in a 3-bike package deal, off a Roadmaster that the guy forced me to take with the 63 Corvette.
20190622_092036.jpg
20190622_093246.jpg

But I think your rack is going to look better.
Your bike provides much inspiration.

I get that error sometimes when I don't wait 10 secs or so between typing in text in a comment and trying to post a photo. There have been issues with this previously, perhaps @Rat Rod can help.
It was my error, the pics were too big, I am not good with reading instructions and especially not good at following them (-;

Pictures from the weekend....

After lots of time, and trial & error I was able to lock in the rear wheel with a combination of parts from two different chain tensioners and a set of trusty vintage Schwinn wheel washers.
IMG_1511.JPG

IMG_1512.JPG

ten.jpg s-l300.jpg wash.jpg

Some detail shots of rear rack progress. Had to cut off the ends of the Electra rack to get it to the point it was level. Next, I had to come up with a creative way that still looked decent to attach the rack. Took the rack with me to the local hardware store to brain storm. Slit shaft collars were the answer. The plan is to keep the rack black and paint the clamps and shaft collars to match, so it looks clean. I am using the Schwinn Chicago factory rack bolts, spaded washers and nuts on drop outs to keep the classic Schwinn vibe.
IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1444.jpg IMG_1497.jpg IMG_1496.jpg IMG_1501.jpg IMG_1503.jpg IMG_1502.jpg IMG_1506.jpg IMG_1504.jpg
IMG_1510.jpg

Again trying to keep as much authentic Schwinn in this build as possible, I found some truss rods off an early ladies Schwinn that are 1/2 longer than mens/boys. They will be painted black to match the rear rack.

Last edited:
Classy and cool looking build. Nice work on the rack and the trusses look great.

Love the Shiner brand! I bought a family box, sampler, whatever, about 3 years ago at our local liquor store. There was a couple of beers in there that I really liked. Going to have to do some research to jog my memory to find some more.

Is there a sub culture on RRB for regional beer trading? :nerd:

It's looking good!:thumbsup:

I've got a Schwinn question . Is the Suburban the only model that had the fork crown painted the same color as the rest of the bike? I know the Varsities had Ashtabula forks, but these are like those on the models, Continentals etc. but all I've seen have chrome crowns, not painted.

It's looking good!:thumbsup:

I've got a Schwinn question . Is the Suburban the only model that had the fork crown painted the same color as the rest of the bike? I know the Varsities had Ashtabula forks, but these are like those on the models, Continentals etc. but all I've seen have chrome crowns, not painted.
Not sure

Latest posts

Back