LaidBack - TransWorld Motobike Rat - Patinafication & Details - 85 Years

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I had in mind was a spring clip type clamp for the rod to cable anchor.
eca9599a84908909af15c3200f829b40.jpg
I bent this one up from a thin piece of Aluminum, it doesn’t have enough memory to stay tight.
d95bcb221a346ea6f1aef466056a4164.jpg
I wasn’t sure that anyone would notice the wire tie, but it’s there. Good eyes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did they invent work drive hose clamps?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Not sure how old they would be. I’d thought of those but decided the wire tie would be less noticeable.

According to Wikipedia:

The first patent for a worm-drive hose clamp was granted to Swedish inventor Knut Edwin Bergström in 1896 [1] Bergström founded “Allmänna Brandredskapsaffären E. Bergström & Co.” in 1896 (ABA) to manufacture these worm gear clamps.

The Jubilee brand clamp brand was started by Commander Lumley Robinson of the British Royal Navy, who was granted the first UK patent for his device by the London Patent Office in 1921[citation needed] while operating as a sole trader. It is now subject to a registered trademark in many countries around the world. The design has been copied with many variations, and there are many other hose clips of a similar design.

Last edited:
Bailing wire? [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Yes, that would work. When I picked up the bike the basket was wired to the rear rack.
Another thought is a hog ring...old school.
f21bf244fb1b7aefbe0a2491fb71c5be.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hog ring is cool. What about a few rounds of a picture hanger wire? It's dark, very small diameter, and you can wrap it really tight. Start with a length flat against the brace, wrap over the length to hold. Leave it a little loose, stick the end in the loops through the other side, pull, and then clip the end off.

Now that we are discussing the cool braided battery cable, there's another related aspect that has been bugging me. I didn't bring it up before because it felt like nitpicking. I would like to see the cable run parallel with the down tube instead of being coiled around it. Of course that would also require some type of fastener.
19908c6ecf99e4c1e0200ef67402031f.jpg

A few years ago I built a motorized bike that had multiple cables, wiring and a fuel line all requiring some type of securing to the frame. To maintain the period look (similar to your look), I chose to use what I thought would be practical and available in someones workshop 50 years ago. For all of the cables and wiring I used some old school cloth electrical tape. I was able to buy a roll at a local electrical supply company. I also used some old baling wire for the fuel line.

Here's a photo. Click on it for a closer look.
100_9113_zpsvll0sfc8.jpg

One last thing. You mentioned the need to age the battery tube hangers. A simple and effective way to deal with new zinc metal parts is to soak them overnight in vinegar. It will remove the zinc and leave a nice dull raw metal finish.

Must be nice to have two full months to play with the little stuff!!! :nod:

I like 50lb fishing line - disappears!
Maybe some of the old woven fabric type line, I remember using a black line as a kid, pre monofilament.

Hog ring is cool. What about a few rounds of a picture hanger wire? It's dark, very small diameter, and you can wrap it really tight. Start with a length flat against the brace, wrap over the length to hold. Leave it a little loose, stick the end in the loops through the other side, pull, and then clip the end off.
I have a roll of light gage copper wire that would work for what you are suggesting. Thanks.
Now that we are discussing the cool braided battery cable, there's another related aspect that has been bugging me. I didn't bring it up before because it felt like nitpicking. I would like to see the cable run parallel with the down tube instead of being coiled around it. Of course that would also require some type of fastener.
19908c6ecf99e4c1e0200ef67402031f.jpg

A few years ago I built a motorized bike that had multiple cables, wiring and a fuel line all requiring some type of securing to the frame. To maintain the period look (similar to your look), I chose to use what I thought would be practical and available in someones workshop 50 years ago. For all of the cables and wiring I used some old school cloth electrical tape. I was able to buy a roll at a local electrical supply company. I also used some old baling wire for the fuel line.

Here's a photo. Click on it for a closer look.
100_9113_zpsvll0sfc8.jpg

One last thing. You mentioned the need to age the battery tube hangers. A simple and effective way to deal with new zinc metal parts is to soak them overnight in vinegar. It will remove the zinc and leave a nice dull raw metal finish.

Must be nice to have two full months to play with the little stuff!!! :nod:
I coiled the cord since I had plenty of it and it allows for flexibility in steering, no binding. When I got this old bike it had an added light and generator (newer type) the wiring was secured with cloth tape. I remember my dad having some, it always seemed to be sticky on both sides.
Thanks for reminding me about the vinegar trick. I’ve done that before. I’ve had some self debate as to whether I want to do raw vinegar patina or do paint distress like I did with the tank hangers.
@The Renaissance Man: like the way you flipped the tank over and added the filler cap and the band to hide the tank seam. Looks like it was made that way.
Hopefully other viewers find this old LaidBack bike as interesting as I do.

Last edited:
The cloth tape that I bought is only sticky on one side. I'm guessing that they make both kinds.
As for the coiled cord, it is only a minor thing that was just an idea. Thinking about it, it is totally in line with replicating what might have been done 50 years ago in a back yard shop! :thumbsup:

The cloth tape that I bought is only sticky on one side. I'm guessing that they make both kinds.
As for the coiled cord, it is only a minor thing that was just an idea. Thinking about it, it is totally in line with replicating what might have been done 50 years ago in a back yard shop! :thumbsup:
I’m assuming when it gets old the tackiness transfers. I have a roll of the plastic type that is tacky on both sides. Had it a loooong time. Think I like drawing attention to the faux power cord. If I use some of the tape I might give it a wrap or two. Appreciate you noticing it.
Hey thanks! I’m lazy where do I source some?
I remember that 'tacky' friction tape too, Ed. We held together many things with that, in that pre-duct tape era. Thanks for stirring the memory pot.
The stuff my dad had was probably old. I think we used it on wooden bats also. I remember hauling another bike home that had some of cloth friction tape that had petrified.

Getting back to doing my outdoor cardio miles as the rain has become more sporadic. 13.46 miles today. 29 inches of rain in May.

Some wildlife the last couple of days after a rain deluge of almost 3 inches in less than an hour plus hail. Two adults and four downy fledglings emerged.
b1f70adaf79b8d012b679c6dfc26a02c.jpg
0aaf4cb9bfd1ff691d23d2c5857d48cd.jpg
36c3b2ba2a5500b5e11137a6fdb90e6b.jpg
57d2f24d642ad474cec134a34b17793e.jpg

Last edited:
I took the battery tube off to age the hanging hardware. And I experimented with some of the aforementioned ideas on securing the light power cable. I settled on the simplest way using the fabric friction tape. A couple of wraps, at least it’s good for now.
55bcc7552e9a2baf4b44eeff351fd39b.jpg
b03291e944cd9556f69253c7f091d8c0.jpg
e38a994a55e16555dc0c490443e88c45.jpg

I haven’t had the bike out in the dark yet, but light seems to work both directions.
5556e733c8f7c476e50a389ee41d3bff.jpg
701420fb9a29ae5efb6fd7cb6fae8c51.jpg

Battery tube is taped in place temporarily while the brackets cook.
Also changed up the rack reflectors a bit.
f2d824930ea3f2c79ea2ad0ff698a41f.jpg
ce6932c5f4e876650c756d9e3f275743.jpg

Last edited:
+1 on the new reflector set up!

The friction tape worked great. The first thing I thought of was an old cord, just like that one (maybe on a vacuum cleaner?) at my grandma's that had friction tape wrapped around it where it had worn or come apart. Fits the build vibe well!

Latest posts

Back