BLACKBIRD (Skylark Convertible)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering how wide the fender was going to be. I will be anxious to see a tire mounted in there. But not TOO anxious, I know you have nearly 3 months left. :bigsmile:

Looks good brother [emoji1362]
Thanks y'all!
Do you have a bluebird tank you could copy?, one of those would be cool on a custom bike.
I don't, but I believe that a guy over at theCabe has made them. His member name is JAF/CO
I will be anxious to see a tire mounted in there. But not TOO anxious, I know you have nearly 3 months left. :bigsmile:
Don't want you to be anxious, so here's a photo for you. :)

Uncut and sporting a temporary test brace...
rear fender on front.jpg

Got the front fender brace cut out and the edges sanded smooth.
There is more to this than meets the eye. It's hard to tell from the picture but both sides are tapered in and is straight and parallel for 5" at the center. Also, the hour glass shape is slightly offset to one side.
IMG_0940.JPG

Big thanks to Jim Frazier in Stockton for sending me a cardboard template of an original Elgin brace! There's no way I could have duplicated it this precisely by only looking at photos.

She's gorgeous :heart:

Got this Elgin wheel with a much better air cooled hub than the one that I had from @sandman today! It came from his donor bike. It should clean up nicely and no rust pitting to deal with!
100_6720.JPG

Thanks Jeff!!!:thumbsup::cool2:

I couldn't be much happier with the fit on the fender brace! This is one of those rare instances where everything lined up on the first try. I fully expected to have to oval a couple of the mounting holes but they lined up perfectly!

100_6716.JPG

The only issue that I had was when I bent the middle to fit the inside of the fender, it tried to fold where the holes are. In hindsight I should have just center punched the two locations and drilled them after the radius was bent. Just slowed things down and created unnecissary work to get it shaped right.

100_6718.JPG

Now to drill the two holes in the fender and the brace will be done!

100_6715.JPG

Yes, that's what I'll be working on next. I left the fender long so that it could be trimmed correctly after it was mounted in the fork.

I'll be shaping the front fender like an original Blubird fender.
Bluebird Front fender.jpg

The Skylark fender was made with a headlight. But with the TRM tank, a fender light would look out of place.

Latest posts

Back