The Streamliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the teardrop idea...that top line of the bodywork continuing an increasingly tighter arc finishing a bit above hub level, then a tight turn and a lower line mimicking the topline would be cool. It would lead to an undoing of some of the welded in insert work, but making a bit of a cove by continuing the top of the insert parallel to the deck (along with the beads) towards the back...fading back into the teardrop would look cool as well...to me at least :grin:.

You've got the eye, however, so...whatever you do its going to look great. This will be a rolling billboard for your biz, for sure.

Jason

Tears of joy.
maxresdefault.jpg

I like the teardrop idea...that top line of the bodywork continuing an increasingly tighter arc finishing a bit above hub level, then a tight turn and a lower line mimicking the topline would be cool. It would lead to an undoing of some of the welded in insert work, but making a bit of a cove by continuing the top of the insert parallel to the deck (along with the beads) towards the back...fading back into the teardrop would look cool as well...to me at least :grin:.

You've got the eye, however, so...whatever you do its going to look great. This will be a rolling billboard for your biz, for sure.

Jason
Ooo I like that idea! It's turning more "Art Deco" than Flash Gordon, but that's not a bad thing!

this is really great. I wonder what it'll sound like going down the road.

I think I've decided on the design for the rear of the bike. I liked the idea of continuing the three swages rearward, but the chain and dropouts prevent it. They stick out too far for it to work.
So I'm back to having the circles being the pedals.
The top of the rear is a continuation of the arc along the crossbar. At the moment the rear axel nut pokes through the panel. It won't for long.....
DSC_0593.JPG

I always make the panels way to big, it's much easier to trim some off than to add...

Incredible! I am flabbergasted and bamboozled at the sheer beauty of your metalcraft!

Wow praise indeed, thanks!

This morning I made the second half of the pedal recess.
I'm making it so that it slots behind the front half, hence the little joggle and tabs on the edge
DSC_0596.JPG

And in place
DSC_0595.JPG

Time is really my issue. I honestly don't know if I can finish in time.

One thing I do know, is that every customer that comes into the workshop ignores the Ferraris, Bentleys and Jaguars and homes straight in on this bike! Lol I guess it'll be quite a head turner when it's done!

Time is always the issue with these build off competitions. The flip side is that it does push you to get more done than you might otherwise even if you don't make the deadline. At least that has been my experience. :)

giphy.gif

How is this all supported?
Brackets welded to the frame. Mostly it will be self supported though. I didn't want loads of bolts showing. Obviously there will have to be some.
My other thought was that I could make the screws a feature, part of the design. Time will tell. This is an organic design (which is a nice way of saying "I'm making it up as I go" )

Latest posts

Back