The Streamliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great! I see the two body panels cleco’d together. Do you plan to rivet them or some quick connect or screws? Thinking about access for the battery & electronics & other maintenance. (I also may have missed it in the text as the pics distracted me!)

Looks great! I see the two body panels cleco’d together. Do you plan to rivet them or some quick connect or screws? Thinking about access for the battery & electronics & other maintenance. (I also may have missed it in the text as the pics distracted me!)

The panels will be held together with small stainless steel dome head bolts. As you say, access is needed to the innards.

Today's offering
DSC_0706.JPG

Have you thought about some sort of frame stand achieved by a removable long rod to the handlebars or seat rather than a kickstand.

Or maybe a pedal kickstand

Have you thought about some sort of frame stand achieved by a removable long rod to the handlebars or seat rather than a kickstand.

Or maybe a pedal kickstand

Hmmm that is a very good point. When the rear section is fitted I'll loose the kick stand. I need some sort of stand for it. It will need to be within the bike, I don't want to have to carry a long pole around.

So.....

I call on the Ratrodbikes hive brain to throw some ideas at me!

Ive got a seed of an idea about using a flip out pedal attachment.....

No serious idea for a kickstand from my side, but I can't stop wondering, how the sound of this sheet metal beauty may be when it's finished, with all the resonance room you are crafting...
I must say, a ride video with proper sound will be a must on this one! [emoji440][emoji327][emoji441][emoji573]

Gesendet von meinem K00Y mit Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm liking the front wheel idea. With the motor, there's about half the total bikes weight in that wheel.
If you do the front wheel stand, I would also add a front wheel 'frame stabilizer' between your down tube and the fork, to reduce the 'wheel flop' it might have with all that weight suspended in the air, and the fact that the front wheel pivots; unlike a back wheel would in a traditional wheel stand.

Here's mine I made for Beer Boy Delivery, to keep the 'goods' balanced when parked.
IMG_20150521_201913.jpg

The 'goods'...

IMG_20150530_165053.jpg

Interesting OddJob. I haven't decided which way I'm going yet. The bike is at work, so the ideas I have at home for it often turn out impossible once I look at the bike "in the flesh". Instead an alternative solution will present itself.
Monday will be "design a stand day"

How about that - a center stand is quite stable, but it protrudes way too much to the sides. A kick stand on the other hand folds neatly along the chainstays, but it holds only so much weight.
So the idea would be a combination of both, like a double sided kickstand, where both sides are "somehow" ( :nerd::39::nerd::whew::43::headbang: ) connected and drop simultaneously like a center stand.
The challenge obviously being that the part connecting both kickstands must expand while using the stand and vice versa. A spring maybe?
20190720_201403.jpg

Well I admit that I messed up the other side!
I cut the panel too short. I don't really know how it happened, but it did.
So it does give me the opportunity to show why I like metal........ You can just weld another bit back on!

First the new bit is tacked on. I'm using a small dab of filler wire on each tack. The wire is the same grade as the metal so it won't be seen afterwards.
DSC_0765.JPG

The tacks are crushed with a hammer and dolly, then the weld is done.

DSC_0766.JPG

The back of the weld is then ground off flush. Then I crush the weld using the hammer and dolly again. The idea of the crushing is to stretch the weld and reverse the shrinking effect that welding has.
Using a body file I can see where the low spots are and bring them up with a curved dolly and flat hammer.
DSC_0768.JPG

Then finally a light sanding withe 320 grit and scotch pad.
DSC_0769.JPG

It looks so easy!!! :D
WOW!!!

Latest posts

Back