BLACKBIRD (Skylark Convertible)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any guesses?:grin:

Some type of rack for something?....:39:..paint booth?

More pics tomorrow, can't wait to share it with everyone!

giphy.gif

Honestly, I think it’s a rack of some sort, potentially for hanging parts on to dip, or apply paint/coating
You are correct sir!

Most of us have painted rims at some point and (at least for me) it has always posed a problem as to how to hang them up and get an even coat of paint. As I said yesterday I have been thinking of various ways to do this and finally the triangle frame entered my mind. I've been fascinated with triangles for a long time so I was a little surprised that it didn't come to me sooner.

Anyway the idea is simple. I wanted to support the rim through the spoke holes so that every surface could be painted without interuption. With the three sides of the triangle (which is very stong) it was easy to run a length of baling wire from each corner which will not allow the rim to shift to any one side. (I may try some nylon string next time to avoid any potential for scratching the paint.)

The beauty of the frame is that it can be picked up, turned over, rotated and even stood on any end during painting. This should help to spray all surfaces evenly and help avoid runs! The frame and rim together is very light weight and rigid. Also if you paint outside like I do it can emmediately be carried inside to dry without ever having to touch the rim! Of course this only works for wheels that have been taken apart. This would also work extraordinarily well for powder coating!

I set the frame corners on three stools. After I had primed everything on this side I flipped the frame over and sprayed the rest. It was so easy to reach all of the surfaces inside and out!
IMG_1045.JPG

Here are the two rims for the Skylark after primer!
100_7008.JPG

Closer pics show the baling wire 'spokes'.
100_7009.JPG

100_7011.JPG

Three 10' sections of 3/4" EMT makes two frames. Just cut them in half. drill holes in each end and bolt them together. When you're done unbolt them and they take up very little space until next time! I hope this will help others to paint rims easily!

giphy.gif

This idea / concept deserves a....wait for it....

RIM SHOT! :21:

Seriously though, nice idea TRM. Your original posting that had multiple triangles in it threw me off. :wink1: My dad the geometry teacher, would have been proud of you. Of course, he would have pointed out some sort of relationship between the triangle and the circle.

In fact, upon some quick research, I found this:

Incircle_and_Excircles.svg.png

The center of the incircle (blue), called the incenter, can be found as the intersection of the three internal angle bisectors (your baling wire has a name!).

Of course, your circle and triangle are non-tangential on purpose, so the rim won't touch the sides of the triangle rack.

What is the largest rim you could paint using this system, or I should say, the maximum capacity incircle ? :grin:

Seriously though, nice idea TRM. Your original posting that had multiple triangles in it threw me off. :wink1: My dad the geometry teacher, would have been proud of you. Of course, he would have pointed out some sort of relationship between the triangle and the circle.

View attachment 100255

The center of the incircle (blue), called the incenter, can be found as the intersection of the three internal angle bisectors (your baling wire has a name!).

Of course, your circle and triangle are non-tangential on purpose, so the rim won't touch the sides of the triangle rack.

What is the largest rim you could paint using this system, or I should say, the maximum capacity incircle ? :grin:
Once you go beyond circles are round and triangles are pointy, you're pretty much over my head, geometrically speaking. LOL

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks y'all. I'm very happy with it!

View attachment 100255

At first I was a little slow on the RIM shot joke. LOL Being a drummer, I was trying to connect a drum reference instead.:21:

I think your dad would be proud of YOU! You just gave us a geometry terminology lesson.:nerd:

As for the size, I'm pretty sure it is big enough to accommodate most bike rims. There's about 5 or 6 inches gap on the closest sides. That's with a 26" rim. I don't think you could cram a Coker 36" rim in there though!

Hopefully I'll be using the rim shot frames again tomorrow to shoot some paint!:)
100_7007.JPG

Round two with the 'Rim Shot Frames' is in the books. This is the first reveal of my paint scheme!

I got lazy and didn't bother trying nylon string. The wire works fine, I'll just be extra careful when I remove them.
100_7012.JPG

Very little of the wire actually touches the rim holes!
100_7013.JPG

Super kosher idea on the Star of David paint frames!

בבקשה

Triangle rim holders are amazing.
This guy!!
as usual, there is too much talent and creativity in this thread for me.
Come on y'all, you're going to give me the big head!
It's pretty simple really. But thanks just the same, I do appreciate the comments.:blush:

Set them out in the sun today. No need to take them out of the frames till I'm ready to lace'm up! Just propped them against each other.
IMG_1058.JPG

Nice paint on the rims. They look like glass!
I'm using automotive paint, just can't get that look with rattle can paint!

Holy tetrahedrons TR Man!

The shadow cast by one of your edges forms a 'triangular pyramid' while the two adjoining sides cast the 'h' (height) shadow of the side in this formula to figure the volume of this geometric shape.

You've moved past geometry into trigonometry. And whoever said we wouldn't use advanced math in our adult years was off 'base'.

Cos it's a sine of the times.
types-of-a-pyramid1.png

Latest posts

Back