Dyno Raodster rebuild and additions.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi RRB,

Helllo all, new to RRB and looking forward to contributing. I have had a Dyno Roadster for some years. Finally getting around to getting it back to where it should be and the way I want it. Pics to come when I get it all back together in a few days.

Was a CL find, I think I paid $200. Paint is OK but has some scratches and scrapes. Someone in their infinite wisdom took of the fenders and the springier fork and put on a BMX Akisu fork! :eek: Got rid of that and threw on a bent springer fork. IMHO the bike was made for a bent springer. Switched out the stock cranks for 5 1/2's. Everything is all cleaned, adjusted and well lubed up! :grin: Running it without the chain guard.

Two questions:

1) Grips were unfortunately not on the bike. Looks to me the original Dyno grips had the "D" embossed on the ends but can't be 100% certain. I have seen some with the skulls ends, but those look like Electra's that were added on latter? Anyone know which came first. I am in the market for original Dyno's or replicas. I can find the chrome grips with the skulls on the ends and the dimpled grip, but no smooth end chrome grips with the dimples.

2) The bow/krate style pedals weren't on the bike when I purchased it. I have found the most accurate reproductions I can find on ebay that have the same oval stamped holes on either side of the reflectors.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Oversi...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Those are the two outstanding additions I am looking to make. Curious for answers on that and then I'll make a purchase. Rebuilt the Shimano CB-E110 as one of the bearing disintegrated and needed service anyway. I have the original Dyno seat, but the plastic in the front broke. Replaced it with a Velo and removed the crash bar. The Velo looks correct to me for the bike.

Hi, nice find at $200.-. The skull grips came stock on the Dyno Duece. I have come across them on other models. The skull grips would have been available as an upgrade or a swap. So not necessarily inaccurate on a roadster. However, the Dyno grips while attractive were plastic and not very durable. Get what feels right. I want to get the black leather Brooks for my roadster but waiting to find them at a swap meet bargain price.

You are right, the roadster looks great with a bent springer. But even with the shorter cranks it will be a peddle scraper. Use an old pair of metal peddles for the sparks. Buy and save the oval cruiser peddles.

I had a bent springer on my roadster for two summers. Had to swap out to the shorter crank as well. Slow and Low style peddle scraper it was. Had a blast with it. Be sure and adjust that seat at an angle so not to bruise your tail bone while riding that low.

I have since reinstalled the original springer but still need to swap the cranks back. I have two Roadsters and and the older Coaster.

The Roadster frames are often run with and look great with custom parts. Run what you like.

Kruez

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Long overdue update and a few questions. I got my front wheel back from being rebuilt. Glad I was able to save it, wasn't sure if I was going to.

Had a good summer on the bike! It needs the correct peals and grips now. I found these that are as close to the original dynos as I can find. Would love a set of originals but not sure wher eto find any.

1/2" Cruiser Fat Bow PEDALS Vintage Schwinn Stingray Bicycle Nirve Electra Bike

s-l1600.jpg

Looking for the closest thing to the original dyno grips. I can only find them with the skulls on the end caps and I'm not into it.

Running great except the front wheel rubs the spring on turns and I'm not sure how to remedy that. Can't wait until the snow is gone to get on the road again!

These are the pedals that are on my Dyno Coaster, they are narrower fore and aft than the ones you pictured and have a diamond cutout. Are the Coaster and Roadster different?
IMG_0880.JPG
IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0882.JPG

Also here are some Electra pedals I bought years ago and are very much like the ones you posted, maybe the same and just repackaged?
I would also like to find some original grips for my Coaster but I thought they were a black grip that came to a point on the end?
IMG_0883.JPG

These are the pedals that are on my Dyno Coaster, they are narrower fore and aft than the ones you pictured and have a diamond cutout. Are the Coaster and Roadster different?
View attachment 151504View attachment 151505View attachment 151508
Also here are some Electra pedals I bought years ago and are very much like the ones you posted, maybe the same and just repackaged?
I would also like to find some original grips for my Coaster but I thought they were a black grip that came to a point on the end?View attachment 151506

I'm no expert but I believe you are right that the coaster and roadster had different pedals. All of the pictures of the Roadster I have seen have the oval cut out. Here are a few. You can see it here if you look really close in the Dyno poster for the roadster and what looks to be a bone stock Roadster as well. I will wait a bit and see if someone can direct me to something better than what I found on eBay. The pedals on eBay are made by Lux Low, https://luxlow.com/ or maybe just sold by them? I'd doubt a pedal is made in the U.S.A. anymore. :-(

s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• dr1.jpg
    dr1.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 90
No stupid questions, right? So I'd like to make chain cleaning easier. My Roadster has the original chain which is staked, no master link. Do I devalue my original by knocking out a link to install a master link for easier cleaning?

Long overdue update and a few questions. I got my front wheel back from being rebuilt. Glad I was able to save it, wasn't sure if I was going to.

Had a good summer on the bike! It needs the correct peals and grips now. I found these that are as close to the original dynos as I can find. Would love a set of originals but not sure wher eto find any.

1/2" Cruiser Fat Bow PEDALS Vintage Schwinn Stingray Bicycle Nirve Electra Bike

s-l1600.jpg

Looking for the closest thing to the original dyno grips. I can only find them with the skulls on the end caps and I'm not into it.

Running great except the front wheel rubs the spring on turns and I'm not sure how to remedy that. Can't wait until the snow is gone to get on the road again!
I have a set of pedals and crank I would give up, pedals are a little rusty....

I have a set of original krurled Dyno grips NOS. I've put it out of the original packaging because the cardboard was chipping away, but i still have the packaging too i believe. Skull end model. They look like these:
IMG_2755_1024x1024.jpg

If you don't mind shipping from Europe i can sell them to you, i didn't find no use for them in the last three years, so probably they would be happy on your bike.

I have a set of original krurled Dyno grips NOS. I've put it out of the original packaging because the cardboard was chipping away, but i still have the packaging too i believe. Skull end model. They look like these:
IMG_2755_1024x1024.jpg

If you don't mind shipping from Europe i can sell them to you, i didn't find no use for them in the last three years, so probably they would be happy on your bike.

I appreciate the post and pictures, but I'm not looking to do the skull end caps/ Trying to get the Roadster back to original. Thanks for posting, I'd bet you will sell those pretty quick on here or eBay.

I appreciate the post and pictures, but I'm not looking to do the skull end caps/ Trying to get the Roadster back to original. Thanks for posting, I'd bet you will sell those pretty quick on here or eBay.
Those D end caps are hard to get. Last time i have had a pair and sold was in 2015 i guess. Let me know if you find them, otherwise i keep my eyes open and maybe i see something locally.

Latest posts

Back