Cool E-bike "trick"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all the electric bike fans - a friend just sent me a link for the Skoda Klement E-bike.
Instead of pedals it has these small floorboards:
148424-cars-feature-skoda-klement-image3-whf41gsjn0.jpg

Pressing them down with your toes make the bike go. So simple it is genius. Basically we could take the thumb throttle, put it in the bottom bracket (backwards) and attach the floorboards to the actuation lever. The floorboards should be attached to springs strong enough for their weight not to actuate the lever on its own.
Pretty cool stuff.

I guess it would. So? :)
This is ratrodbikes and not radrodbicycles. We have the motorized section and gas builds don't require pedaling either, so... What seems to be the problem?
Anyway the focus is not on the bike, but on the throttle idea one could adapt/copy on a motorized build.

I think there could be legal issues. Without pedals, different licensing may be required. The foot throttle is definitely a cool idea, making me think about some kind of ratcheting foot shifter, like a motorcycle's.
Lol I think shifter for my front derailleur just got nervous...

I am just fascinated by the foot throttle idea, I don't find that particular bike appealing at all. Also throttle is illegal here in Germany so I can't really profit from this idea. If you want a throttle the bike has to be registered (virtually impossible with a custom bicycle/rat rod), bicycle roads are out of the question and a helmet is a must. I prefer to stay slow and pedaling in the bicycle category cause I don't want to ride in traffic.
I would like a throttle not because I don't want to pedal, but because it would allow for builds that otherwise would not be rideable - I couldn't have a low seat and clip-ons, because my knees would hit me in the teeth. So pedaling means for me either higher bars and a lower seat, or the other way around.

I tried to adapt my rapid fire shifter as a foot shifter a while ago and with some tweaking (attachment to the frame and extending the thumb lever)it is definitely doable. But you need a frame that allows for comfortable foot movement. Something long/stretched, I think. Also since you have to stop pedaling for a moment in order to shift it is only compatible with IGH, but probably not with a derailer type gears. But eliminating the cranks would definitely make it easier to adapt and a throttle would make it work with a derailer too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back