Machine Age Victim's Award for Mechanical Excellence

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought this would be easy, offer up a prize and pick the clear winner, nope! So many amazing bikes built, and so many skilled mechanics has made this a very difficult decision. This is a completely subjective award but these bikes could never be honored enough.

The prize: one of these, a bike shop mechanic's price board, from a 60 year old shop
20190628_131616.jpg

Honorable mentions:
@kingfish254
@The Renaissance Man
@MONARKofSoCal @us56456712
@SkyknightJohn
@idiotboy
@David Cooksey
@OneHorsePower
@OddJob

Being a bicycle mechanic for 25+ years, I know exactly what it took to build the bikes you did, nothing short of amazing.

In the end, one showed excellent mechanical skill and also used that skill to push through and complete a vision.
@MazdaFlyer
104984_5ffdf6bddaeef78ad013cf4ce9336a0e.jpg

Great job to everyone in the build off!

Last edited:
Wow, what a surprise to find this post this morning!
I feel humbled when being so honored especially when looking through the honorable mentions list.
Thank You for following along and appreciating the work and effort to revive this old bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats to Ed ! Very cool build with heaps of RaT-ina and mech and electric work. Well deserved!

Just curious about the list, @Machine Age Victim , the last honorable mention builder on your list is:
oddrodal. I don't believe he had a build in the build off this summer.

By any chance, did you mean OddJob, me? Just taking a wild stab here because our usernames start the same way.

Congrats to Ed ! Very cool build with heaps of RaT-ina and mech and electric work. Well deserved!

Just curious about the list, @Machine Age Victim , the last honorable mention builder on your list is:
oddrodal. I don't believe he had a build in the build off this summer.

By any chance, did you mean OddJob, me? Just taking a wild stab here because our usernames start the same way.
Sorry, yes! I corrected it. Mention was for your class 2 build

I picked up the award piece tonight. I’ll get a better photo and post it in a day or two.
1eef1a0a6d524e976b8d14cad5653b91.jpg

Again thanks go out to @Machine Age Victim for the selection. Kudos to the honorable mention builders as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t afford these prices so I do my own work. Machine Age Victim’s Award for Mechanical Excellence. I will cherish this recognition forever.
246d2349d9acb91a18232cf308476fa9.jpg
93001e10fd0fb10584e53b7f16a5e9e5.jpg
eb3324adebb28c2910ac45b7a1052f23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Those prices can't be 60 years old, some of the prices are cheaper up here but most somewhat more. Flats are fixed for the price of the tube at some shops, wheel truing $10 - 20 depending on how much work. A custom wheel can be built with your hub and rims for $50 - $100. $100 is for exotics, like track rims and wood rims. They get vintage wheel work from 2000 miles away (Northwest USA). They have all the wheel work they can handle and don't want more so don't ask. They have a Phil spoke threader. Another local shop does work for other shops all over the country but isn't allowed to say for who. I build my own wheels and have them final trued for $10. They have better equipment and it is so reasonable that they true all my mountain bike wheels, even replacing a few spokes if necessary. Wheel building isn't their main line of work so I usually build my vintage wheels in the winter and drop them off and let them fiddle with them when they have nothing better to do. Often takes 3 weeks. Once in awhile I make a mistake and a wheel somehow turns out perfect, even dished perfectly by using a bike frame. That's rare though. They do some stuff for free for me if I'm on a ride and have problem. The shop is 65 miles from home but I often ride in the town where the shop is.

Latest posts

Back