Meet Matti

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first started dating my lady I built her a JC Higgins, found it a Murray tank on eBay and took her to the local swap meet on a date. That’s where I found the rack. It needs to be modified to fit the 24” frame but it’s so pretty.
Fast forward seven years and I traded a Columbia two bar. I don’t know what it’s really called but It was complete. Any ways I traded it for this awesome 24” Higgins with perfect paint.
That’s when she confessed that she doesn’t really care about bikes and was only faking it to make me happy.
It’s been in parts since then.
CD3DBBE2-BC8A-4D29-B39E-0863FF2987B7.jpeg
D6A06A0D-2327-4E9C-88D5-146D5AC44AC8.jpeg

Okay Matti,
Get to Toronto, bring a pocket full of loonies and I'll get ya all set up with winter projects.
Sorry I waited until it snowed before I bought this up.
If you don't have loonies, bring a guitar or two to leave behind.

I've been trying to convince them to let me bring Duck Norris in to work. I'd love to roll on two wheels in there. The warehouse is long enough to lay down the CN Tower inside of it, and the floor is so smooth, they clean it with a Zamboni. They also won't let me bring my sk8board...

Liability issues I’m sure on the non trikes, nice stingray trike by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent a little time cleaning up the Diamondback today.
IMG_20191219_121729986.jpg

Without the stickers, it looks more like a big boy bike!
I kept the one on the head tube though, it doesn't bother me too much.
IMG_20191219_121829168.jpg

As a bonus, the desk got some long needed upgrades!
IMG_20191219_121913566.jpg

Yes, my office is my shop now. So is my laundry room and storage area and workshop. When it's -30 in the garage, what can you do? As temps go down, wife's patience goes up!

Same here, I belong to a mountain bike forum but abandoned using it years ago. I have built pretty much every style of bike but haven't built a muscle bike since about 1995 because my kids grew out of them. I post Klunkers, resto mods, originals, road bikes, cruisers, track bikes and antiques. All are welcome here, and I find out all I need to know about all my bikes here. Best site for anyone with an open bicycle mind.

Re: the mountain bike forums, if it ain't the newest tech, it can't even roll. No dropper post? Bro, you must not be a real rider! 26 inch wheel? Stick to the bike path, Dad! It drives me nuts, you could show up on Ned Overend's championship bike, and they'd still tear you apart! Ewww, what's up with the antique?
*I still deal with the gents over at retrobike dot uk, those chaps keep it civilized. But warning! don't get involved in a discussion about biscuits!

Same here, I belong to a mountain bike forum but abandoned using it years ago. I have built pretty much every style of bike but haven't built a muscle bike since about 1995 because my kids grew out of them. I post Klunkers, resto mods, originals, road bikes, cruisers, track bikes and antiques. All are welcome here, and I find out all I need to know about all my bikes here. Best site for anyone with an open bicycle mind.
Couldn't said it better . Love some RRB .

Great stories, great family, and great bikes.

Kinda sounds like my interest in the hobby. I had a couple of "new" bikes a number of years ago that I rode a lot but mainly just to stay in shape. My wife and I got a couple of Taiwan Schwinns from Target a few years ago to ride the trails in the park across the street. So so fun.

Then my wife brought home a bike that had been in her dad's garage since he got it new back in '52 (Schwinn D-12 which I've since built into a Hornet with optional springer fork.) Bringing that bike home brought back all of the memories that I had as a kid when I found a bike frame w/ fork on a junk pile and bought it for 50 cents. I brought it home and my dad helped me disassemble and old girls bike that I had been riding and Wah Lah, I then had a boys bike; 26" and still pretty big for me (I learned to ride the girls bike by removing the saddle and just pedal standing up in the step through) but the things that I learned from dad I was able to apply to the bike that came home with my wife. That old '52 Schwinn has now become just 1 of 20+ bikes that are now in the 4th garage in the lower level of my house. The two Target Store Schwinns are now covered with dust and at the back. We enjoy riding the old stuff with some others with similar interests. Most fun is the bar hopping on bikes. Sorry to say I don't ride any "as found." It's as much, if not more, fun to put all those skills that I learned from my dad to use to restore them to like new. It's a spiritual thing (with dad who died some time ago) that I feel as I'm working on them that keeps me in the hobby. Needless to say my wife doesn't object. She enjoys the adventure of going into the country with me to look for more old stuff. We live in Kansas but have brought home bikes from Central Missouri and Northern Arkansas, it's the journey as much as the destination we enjoy. My friends kid me about driving a 1994 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon, but what else can I drive that will hold three bikes in the back and tow a trailer with a few more. I keep saying "no more" but almost everyday I'm searching CL or FB market place to see what might be out there.

Hey Sly Wily,

I've got basically the same bike. Since the picture was taken I've found the correct fork, and patched up some rust holes in the tank. Waiting on some decent weather so I can get it outside and paint it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190527_121820778.jpg
    IMG_20190527_121820778.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back