reconditioning tires

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,
Wondering if anybody out there has any ideas on how I would be able to give my tires a recondition if that's possible. My rear tire is a little cracked across the thread and dried. Any suggestions? The front tire has more damage to it, its also cracked and dried but this one has a 3-4 inch side tear, would this be fixable/patchable. The tear must have happen when I took it to the bike shop, I just didn't notice till I got home.

Usually tires cracked and dried are good for display only. A tear can be patched like a tube from the inside, but it's usually time for new tires. Or a good set of used tires.
For display, probably silicone lube will make them look good, but the damage and cracking can't be repaired.

They would have to be really special tires to justify bothering to repair a 3 or 4 inch tear, no?

I have to agree with the others that a compromised tire is an unsafe tire. Simple punctures might be forgivable, but a sidewall tear? Never.

However, for future reference, John Deere sells a product (which I have not used personally) called Ultra Guard. It is intended as a dressing for big ol' tractor tires that are routinely abused in the fields. This miracle sauce might just be the serum you're looking for, provided your rubber suffers no other damage beyond weathering and age.

https://www.wegotgreen.com/John-Deere-Ultra-Guard-Tire-and-Rubber-Protection-p/ty16369.htm

If the inner thread casing is intact there is an opinion that since the tube is the air bladder and the part of the structure that contains it is the thread casing, that the outer rubber is there mainly to provide traction, wear resistance, and additional protection, meaning that it should be fine to ride with a bit of increased consideration for their compromised state. However, though I can understand the sentiment and respect the shrugging of potential danger and inconvenience for frugality (especially where some bike tire prices are higher than low end car tires), I replace them.

I go to the internet to find more tires than in dept stores. Walmart wants more than 20 bucks for a tire! Here's one I used, for most 26 inch tires, is the way to go. There are others too where you can get good deals on tires.
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/

I go to the internet to find more tires than in dept stores. Walmart wants more than 20 bucks for a tire! Here's one I used, for most 26 inch tires, is the way to go. There are others too where you can get good deals on tires.

A.S.BOLTNUT likes this !

DISCLAIMER: this is a janky method, Im not responsible if you face plant. So take this as display tires and ride at your own risk.

Dried out, cracked rubber. Actually an old used car dealer trick. Rub transmission fluid on the rubber and let it sit for 24 hours. The trans fluid swells the rubber and gives it some flexibility back. Been riding a tire for a full season after this treatment. Its a cruiser only, slow riding, no jumps. Did it to get moving, really need to buy a new tire. Wouldnt do this on anything I ride fast, but it works fine for mock up.

I don't want this to be viewed as advice, it isn't. Anecdotally, I have seen super glue squirted into cracks while the tire is deflated. Re-inflate right away and let the glue cure overnight.

I've personally used tire foam to dress my tires. It helps keep them fresh but don't get any on the tread! I usually have the wheels off when I use this stuff and I wipe it on. I got it on my brake pads once and it's not good for that.

If the tire has holes you put an inner tube patch on the inside of the carcass. I have ridden on these but probably should not have. The inside of the carcass needs a good cleaning and sanding before trying this.

Keep your eye on biketiredirect on black Friday , I bought three sets last year . o_O

We have a clearout store in town. They get all the stuff that Walmart can't sell, end of season stuff. I got a set of 26 x 1.95 Bell cruiser tires for six bucks a piece. I bought em without a bike to put em on! Time for a new project!

We have a clearout store in town. They get all the stuff that Walmart can't sell, end of season stuff. I got a set of 26 x 1.95 Bell cruiser tires for six bucks a piece. I bought em without a bike to put em on! Time for a new project!
Last year I picked up 4 - Kenda K-Rads 26 x 2.45 for a little over 55
Two are on my signature bike .

Latest posts

Back