'65 Stingray Nominal Basic

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
11ECB859-FA31-4879-899F-9BBDF9D2D305.jpeg
11A2BA76-FE67-49C6-B47F-1B6AADF8C614.jpeg
Super rough mock up.

Lol

I took PsychoGraphic’s advice and will lay off the extra clear just in case of a chemical reaction.

Also doing the OddJob and PsychoGraphic advice on the adhesion promoter.

It’s cold, but I’m shooting some black tomorrow and will pull my forks, crank and other miscellaneous parts inside to dry.

4A4D96A0-5327-429F-B1D3-DCF8F8711CA2.jpeg
Sprayed some black yesterday and today. Lots of hurrying due to a hectic family schedule. Results were mixed due to rushing. 30 degree paint temperatures not helping either.

These parts look good from a distance, but there’s definitely some imperfections. -Some of the Paint looks like it’s cracking. Some sort of reaction; not sure why as I used exact same paint. (But new can)

I’ll let the chain ring, crank and fork trusses cure all week then sand and re-shoot Friday or Saturday.

E2DD2D7A-16C5-4947-A8A5-3228FF143478.jpeg
Got the fork trusses. crank and chain ring resprayed; still not perfect, but close enough. I’m not sanding n shooting again!!!

I’m hoping to get the kickstand, crank, headset and forks installed by the end of the weekend.

I just threw the fork in there to get a look. The forks are narrow and I’m going to have to remove the axle nuts and put washers or a special thin nut in there.

Last edited:
256122F9-0F03-4402-B877-BF026B27F188.jpeg
Here’s my fitment issue; I suppose I should have found this in the original mock up, but I didn’t have my wheels yet!!!

Jude, you should have a 'cone nut' on both sides of the axle. And a thinner lock nut on the outside of each of those. The nut on the right side (looking down) is an axle nut for the outside of the fork leg to clamp it against the lock nut on the inside of the fork leg.

frontaxlehub.jpg

View attachment 109065 Here’s my fitment issue; I suppose I should have found this in the original mock up, but I didn’t have my wheels yet!!!

I have a solution for this. Eat a big portion of Pierogi & Kielbasa, with a small topping of Mayonaisse. That will give you the Raw Slav Muscle Power to widen the fork by hand :showingbiceps: (just as I do on a regular basis)

I'm not an expert, but mayonnaise?!! Ewwwww :eek: Around here, we do them with fried onions and a blop of sour cream. And sausage. Much sausage!

Jude, you should have a 'cone nut' on both sides of the axle. And a thinner lock nut on the outside of each of those. The nut on the right side (looking down) is an axle nut for the outside of the fork leg to clamp it against the lock nut on the inside of the fork leg.

View attachment 109085
Thanks OJ!

Oddly, this is exactly the way I pulled it off of the big box BMX bike.

I’ll get the right hardware! -I got the lock-nut.... it’s getting a vinegar bath right now.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
C25CBEB3-60AC-4BF6-86E5-EAC1B4BFEC6F.jpeg
59A7C471-3619-4462-96DD-46DE5BD554B4.jpeg
Here’s my crank and chain ring, front and back; it’s not factory perfect, but for a hack who doesn’t really have a workshop, I’ll take it!!!

-my “work shop” bounces from backyard to front yard to driveway to f150 tailgate to garage bike stand to basement!!!

I’m hoping to get a place with a shop in the next year...

View attachment 109090 View attachment 109089 Here’s my crank and chain ring, front and back; it’s not factory perfect, but for a hack who doesn’t really have a workshop, I’ll take it!!!

-my “work shop” bounces from backyard to front yard to driveway to f150 tailgate to garage bike stand to basement!!!

I’m hoping to get a place with a shop in the next year...
I know that problem - apartment, basement, garage... now I work only in my workshop.

I'm not an expert, but mayonnaise?!! Ewwwww :eek: Around here, we do them with fried onions and a blop of sour cream. And sausage. Much sausage!
C8xT9djWsAAN_YY.jpg

Only Mayonnaise! Shashlik King approves with a Gopnik Award! :21:

Second: Spike, what the heck just happened here?
:cool2::ninja:
:forum:
(That's me, looking at that crazy picture on rrb)

Just checkout "Life Of Boris" on Youtube :wink1: There - Boris (the one from the picture) aka Shashlik King, aka Master Slav explains how to be a true Slav - with Pierogi, Mayonnaise, Kielbasa & Semichki (since I watched his videos Semichki became my favorite snack):21:

First: Jude, you got me beat, I don't have a tailgate or a bike stand!

+1 on that, we don't even have decent pickup trucks in Europe :(

First: Jude, you got me beat, I don't have a tailgate or a bike stand!
Second: Spike, what the heck just happened here?
:cool2::ninja:
:forum:
(That's me, looking at that crazy picture on rrb)
Matti,

I scored a bike stand off this site, $40, delivered, all in. I’ve Been working on bikes for almost 40 years and never used a stand until a month or so ago. Love it!

The $40 was a great deal off a RRB member who just wanted to dump it. He said it’s probably not sturdy enough for a heavyweight balloon bike, but should work on about anything else. I’ve had this stingray on it and a Raleigh 10 speed and the thing has done fine.

If it doesn’t hold a beastly balloon bike, no worries. It was only $40. In reality I only need it to hold the frame if I am doing a heavyweight.

I’d encourage you to lay low and if you can score any stand for $50 or less, to nail it. Just hanging parts on it to paint make life way easier. They’re our there. This site, Craigslist, wherever! Good luck!

C725EB6B-2EB0-431D-BF13-1F9E65C3C22D.jpeg
Quick note; I put this together pretty much how I got the crank assembly off the black fair lady parts bike....am I missing a lock washer / crank key?

If I am, does it have to be a schwinn lock washer?

Last edited:
D8FBEC81-5B42-445D-83B9-B28661258DAF.jpeg
I should have snipped a “before” pic’. The head badge was pretty trashed: it actually looked like it had cement splatter on it. The black was also worn off most the letters.

I Scrubbed the spatter off with a scotch brite pad and razor knife. You can see where the spatter ate into the white finish leaving indentations.

Shined up nice, but definitely love the wear/patina.

Hit the letters with a sharpie!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back