Top Fool

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s the details (let alone the use of a ‘modern’ MTB frame, that set this build apart.
Apparently, turning dual suspension MTBs into lowered street cruisers is a growing trend in APAC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too am wondering what APAC is,,,,,,,,,,,, A Pathetic Attempt at Customizing?o_O

What can this pile of parts mean?

PC160834.jpg

More fabrication, thats what.

A short piece of leftover frame and a piece of 1/8" plate.

PC160833.jpg

A little cleaning followed up with some weld through primer.

PC160835.jpg

After a little welding and grinding on the two pieces we have a skid plate to protect the chain guard.

PC160836.jpg

The skid plate is welded in place, it gives me at least 1/4" of clearance on the chain guard.

PC160840.jpg

I cleaned up some welds, and cut the bottom of the seat tube to a more desirable angle. The frame is completely stripped down, guess what that means.

PC160841.jpg
PC160842.jpg

The first signs of bodywork.

These are the opening in the frame for the rear brake cable. Before I started filling with JB Weld, I drilled a hole, then using a torch, heated the exit side, slid a nail into the hole and hammered it down on the exit side. This created a nice low spot for the cable to run out and stay level with the frame. The problem is, it's a BIG low spot. I decided to use JB as it's very strong and grips good to steel.

I wrapped the nail with masking tape and started to fill the low spot.

PC160843.jpg
PC160844.jpg

Last edited:
So, it looks like the frame IS going to get paint after all!?! YahooOOooo!

Got any links to pics? I would love to see other examples.

They were all over my FB feed over the weekend, now I can’t find them. Basically, the trend is to take dual suspension MTBs, lower them (a lot) and run street tires and low flat bars. If they pop up again, I’ll add a link

After the JB cured, I grabbed the nail with a vice grip and twisted it out. A second application of JB will have it close enough for primer.

PC170848.jpg
PC170849.jpg

So, it looks like the frame IS going to get paint after all!?! YahooOOooo!

It sure is. But I still don't know what color or design.

They were all over my FB feed over the weekend, now I can’t find them. Basically, the trend is to take dual suspension MTBs, lower them (a lot) and run street tires and low flat bars. If they pop up again, I’ll add a link

Thank you, I would love to see some.

You mean something like this:

Some people here in germany on tretharley.de got a little crazy about those kind of one or two years ago...

My inspiration of this build has been a Top Fuel drag bike. So far, I'm very happy with the look. I do wish I could have incorporated some bodywork into it, I even looked into panels from Pocket Bikes, unfortunately I couldn't get things to look right in my head.

There is one thing left to fabricate, and I think this will finish off the look.

One set of the mounts I didn't use for the seat post found their way on to the chainstays.

PC190854.jpg

A quick mock up to see if I like the look. Now to find some tubing to make them out of. They will mount with pins for easy removal. This side will need a few bends on the lower tube to clear the derailleur.

PC190852.jpg

My brake levers showed up yesterday. I was worried the bars were in too bad shape to use, there were gouges and scratches I couldn't get out. With the grips and levers on, they look good enough.

PC190857.jpg

Last edited:
I found an affordable 3" back tire, a Kenda Flame. It's a very beefy looking tire, but it just barely rubs the stays.:( With this tire I gain a 1/2 of ground clearance over the 2.4 I had on it. I didn't think it would be that much.

Now I have to decide if I want to cut up the stays to make it fit. If I make 2 notches per side, and 1 each in the top brace and the kickstand mount, I can widen it.

PC200860.jpg

Update, we have clearance Clarence! :whew:
The tire looks great on the bike, I've got a 1.4 on the front right now and want to get a 1.0 to really get the big and little thing going. I removed the kickstand mount and the brace on the seat stays, I doubt if it is doing much for support being so close to what normally is the seat post. I do need to massage the drive side seat stay a little, it has too much of a kink in it where I notched it. I also have to move the front cable stop back a little as there is a curve between them now.

PC200861.jpg

Last edited:
I sure am learning a lot on how NOT to build a bike! It looks like this tire is too tall for my brake. This leaves me two options. One, cut the brake bosses off and relocate them. I really, really don't want to do that. Two, weld an extension on the back of the right side dropout and then make the axle slot deeper. The derailleur mount takes up about 5/8" of the back of the slot, that might give me the clearance I need.

I'll wait till the new brake shows up to decide, it should be here soon.

V-Brake.jpg

How she sits with the new tire.

PC210865.jpg

I lucked out, the new brake fits without having to alter anything.

PC210871.jpg

Something on the bike from day one has been crooked. I'm not sure if it was bent by a previous owner or just poor craftsmanship. The right side dropout was about 1/4" high. It took some effort to pull it, I put the seatpost(?) in a vice and using a 4ft. prybar got them level. I don't know if i pulled one side or both, but the tire sits straight now.

I guess it's back to bodywork now.

Latest posts

Back