Pretty excited

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just bought a New Old Stock 1970 Cycles Gantoise road bike that has been on eBay over the last year and the price kept going down. I got it for less than the opening bid price but shipping is $169. I'll let you know when I get it. My size even. It's even got a racing number plate attached to a braze on on the fork. Leather saddle, Mafac Racer Brakes. Pretty cool. The bike is coming from a shop in Romania and he is a long time member with 100% feedback so I should get it. You can't buy a new bike for this price, let alone an unused or little used classic Belgium built? bike. I'm pretty excited but I'm selling my 1980 Peugeot to make room. The Peugeot is so nice and has so many new parts including 700c wheels and tires that I really don't want to sell such a beautiful road bike. Square taper crank, Mafac racer brakes, leather French saddle, no rust, good paint and all tuned up. It probably won't sell here in the U.P. so I'll probably end out putting it my storage unit, which is inconvenient for when I want to ride it. Too bad hardly anyone wants a bike like this Peugeot anymore. The Peugeot frame came from a dumpster and I built it up because the paint was so good. I had to get a fork for it but I found one the same color on eBay. This was a few years ago. I'm hoping I get it ,and if I get it, in good shape. He said he will pack it extra well. This is the Gantoise.
s-l1600.jpg

Totally cool! Even with the shipping I think it's a bargain. The number plate on the fork looks like a Belgian license plate. Have fun with it!

Totally cool! Even with the shipping I think it's a bargain. The number plate on the fork looks like a Belgian license plate. Have fun with it!
Yeah, Belgian plates are sort of oval. I have seen them for sale on eBay. The seller wasn't sure if this bike was made in France or in Belgium. I might have a problem pushing the corncob cogs with my old legs, we have some pretty big hills that our group rides on. I don't know if it has clinchers or tubular tires. It might need new tires if they are original. I have a set of tubular tires in my stash.

Last edited:
That's a racing bike for sure. Nice bike!

Yeah, I don't want to alter anything on this bike, like lowering the gearing. We have 9 miles of flat bike path along Lake Superior in Munising which is 20 miles away. In Marquette, which is 62 miles away, there are 30 miles of pretty flat bike path and old RR grades that are pretty flat. I should be able to push these tall gears on that but once you go south out of Marquette there are steep long glacial end moraines and vegetated sand dunes or north of Marquette and west of Marquette it is all Canadian Shield and the eroded Huron Mountains. A few blocks in any direction away from Lake Superior in Munising there are end moraines so steep and long that I probably won't be able to climb with this bike. All these climbs are 200 to 500 feet in a half mile and I don't think I will be able to do this with this gearing. These hills are not as horrible as riding out of the Upper Mississippi Valley, but bad enough. There will be plenty to ride but I won't be able to keep up with the Tuesday evening peloton. With my modern road bike with more forgiving gearing I have to break away after 20 miles and turn back. So I finish my total 40 miles at the same time that the rest of the group gets back from their 60 mile ride. They are all 30s to 50s and I'm older. I go real slow on the way back. Right now it the cyclops trainer to keep my butt in shape.

I just bought a New Old Stock 1970 Cycles Gantoise road bike that has been on eBay over the last year and the price kept going down. I got it for less than the opening bid price but shipping is $169. I'll let you know when I get it. My size even. It's even got a racing number plate attached to a braze on on the fork. Leather saddle, Mafac Racer Brakes. Pretty cool. The bike is coming from a shop in Romania and he is a long time member with 100% feedback so I should get it. You can't buy a new bike for this price, let alone an unused or little used classic Belgium built? bike. I'm pretty excited but I'm selling my 1980 Peugeot to make room. The Peugeot is so nice and has so many new parts including 700c wheels and tires that I really don't want to sell such a beautiful road bike. Square taper crank, Mafac racer brakes, leather French saddle, no rust, good paint and all tuned up. It probably won't sell here in the U.P. so I'll probably end out putting it my storage unit, which is inconvenient for when I want to ride it. Too bad hardly anyone wants a bike like this Peugeot anymore. The Peugeot frame came from a dumpster and I built it up because the paint was so good. I had to get a fork for it but I found one the same color on eBay. This was a few years ago. I'm hoping I get it ,and if I get it, in good shape. He said he will pack it extra well. This is the Gantoise.View attachment 110797
Amazing bike you picked up!!!!

I picked up an 80s Peugeot with a biopace, clipless pedals, aero bars and a computer at a garage sale for $100 about 15 years ago. It has the down tube shifters, steel frame, but isn’t a racer like your rig. I still have it: it feels like a rocket when I hop on it after spending a season working my trek 3900!

Do you know what the 70s bike weighs?

Amazing bike you picked up!!!!

I picked up an 80s Peugeot with a biopace, clipless pedals, aero bars and a computer at a garage sale for $100 about 15 years ago. It has the down tube shifters, steel frame, but isn’t a racer like your rig. I still have it: it feels like a rocket when I hop on it after spending a season working my trek 3900!

Do you know what the 70s bike weighs?

Don't know the weight. I have two 70s Peugeots. I like to ride them. Both were given to me. I also have to pick up an 80s Italian track bike and three 1970s Japanese 10 speeds and a Raleigh 10 speed. All given to me. Someone down the road also gave me a trailer full of bikes that were his brothers collection. I don't expect much here but they are free. I have to wait until the snow clears to get all this stuff. I think the track bike might have some value. It was ridden to a state championship back in the 80s. I'll add on to my bicycle frame fence with some of this. I would probably hang on to your Peugeot as they can be nice bikes but they don't have much value. I wouldn't put a lot of money into most Peugeots but I have put money in them as I like mine.

Latest posts

Back