Bendix yellow band kick back

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Found this on a local CL posting and went across town to pick it up. I thought it would work well on one of my Schwinn middleweight bikes. Got there and right away I knew the rim was not a Schwinn. The rim is about 1-1/8" wide (lighweight ?) and it's built with heavy duty spokes. I imagine it came off some X brand tandem. Can anyone identity it? If anyone knows what it is and can use it, send me a PM. Otherwise, I'll relace it to an S-7 rim.

Last edited:
The attachment won't allow viewing. Sounds like it might be for a lightweight, might be a Schwinn. As for heavy duty spokes, I'd have to see them and the rim, usually not on a lightweight rim. But a yellow band hub made for heavy spokes would be nice to have on your middleweight as an S-7 wheel or even a standard 26" giving you more variety of tires. Schwinn made a lot of lightweights with the yellow band two speed. A friend of mine bought a Breeze just for the two speed, then re laced it to a wider rim, it needed shorter spokes for the middleweight rim. It started out like this wheel:
1_8c12a5273f6e04f73fd2dd53907e1875.jpg

Let's try again.

IMG_20190709_110619729.jpg
IMG_20190709_110619729.jpg
IMG_20190709_110614773.jpg

You're right, that's not a Schwinn rim. It looks to be 26 x 1 3/8", the old standard lightweight size, with 12 gauge spokes. I'd have to try a tire on it to be sure of the size. As clean as it is, I think it was NOS or reconditioned and then the wheel was built special.

I compared this wheel to one off of my AMF Roadmaster which uses the 26 x 1.75 tires. The rim is narrower as I said earlier but I measure both the circumference and the diameter of each wheel and they are the same. So I'm assuming that a 26 x 1-3/8" tire will fit it. But when I measured the diameter of the spokes, I couldn't find a chart that listed a spoke with the diameter as large as these. They measured 2.80 mm. The diameter of the standard wheel off the Roadmaster measured only 1.66 mm. Besides being HD, it's just plain heavy. Any body need such a wheel? I'm afraid now that a standard gauge spoke will be too small to fill the hole in the hub.

The 26 x 1.75 are smaller tires in diameter than a 26 x 1 3/8, which are the skinny lightweight tires. Schwinn S-7 rims are very slightly larger than the 26 x 1.75 but yet smaller than the 26 x 1 3/8. If those will fit a 26 x 1.75 tire, then that's all that can fit, also 26 x 1.5, 26 x 1.90, decimal sizes, not fractions. Confusing I know.

The best way to be sure is to fit a tire on the rim.

The spokes are larger than the normal 14 gauge, probably 12 or maybe 11 gauge. So, you're right, the holes in the hub shell are larger for that size spoke, whatever it is.

If that's a 1.75 rim, then a wider rim with same number of spokes should use the same spokes, as long as the holes are big enough in the rim for the larger nipples.

Last night i took a digital caliper to every thing. The wheel is 1-1/4" wide. The 36 holes are 1/8" and tge spokes are 7/64". I measured the spoke holes usin a drill bit and the spokes with a drill bit gauge,

I don't have any lightweight tires, but i was able to mount a 26 x 2.125 tire on the rim.

I compared the diameter of this wheel to Schwinn S-2, and they're identical.

I can't relace this to an S-7 rim (standard S-7 spokes would pull through the hub) so I'll be listing it for sale.

Opinions wanted: Will the bare hub sell better than the complete wheel?

Thanks, Ed

Good, that verifies it's a standard diameter size rim. There may be enough threads on the spokes to lace it up to an S-7 rim if the nipples fit the S-7. If not, you could drill out the holes to use those spokes. The S-7 was only a tad bit larger in diameter than the standard, so each spoke would only need to loosen a 1/8 of an inch or so. Then you'd have a heavy duty S-7.

To sell it, you need to know it works, and let the buyer know it's for HD spokes. I noticed it has different nuts than originally it would have had. You could offer the option of whole wheel or just the hub on your ad. Locally shouldn't make much difference, but shipping would see a difference. The shipping on a flat rate box with just the hub and/or spokes is much cheaper than a box with the whole wheel.

I did a little research. Bendix made HD models of the yellow band 2 speed hub, for the Heavy Duty and tandem bikes, early 60's. I haven't seen the rim style of yours before though.
dscn5873-small-jpg.472247

Hi guys, joining this thread as I’m having a similar-ish issues

I would like to fit a Sturmey Archer 3 speed coaster hub to my existing wheel but am told the spokes are too thick for a SA hub.

I have a 2000’s Heavy Duti frame, the tyres say Schwinn Cruiser and also Duro. Other markings are the tyre size of 26 x 2.125 and then HF 849-3 with L-061 in another place. The rims themselves are black and non branded or stamped.

I’ve not taken callipers to the spokes but they look very similar to the ones posted by RivNut.

The cost of building new wheels and using new parts seems to far outweigh the value of the bike, I was hoping new and old would match. Have been digging around on Sheldon's pages but so far no mention of spoke gauge or if a new hub can safely be drilled to take the thicker spokes, which I kind of like, they look really sturdy!

Usually, the regular hub will be unsafe if the spoke holes are drilled out to accomodate bigger spokes, the flanges will be subject to breaking because they will be too thin. Whatever size the hub was made for should be all it will use. Your cheapest route may be to find another wheel with 14 gauge spokes, and lace up your SA hub to it. 26 x 2.125 should be fairly easy to get. If I need that size, I usually would find a beach cruiser on CL for 25 or 30 bucks and take all the parts, bearings and everything, to add to my parts bin.

Latest posts

Back