What have you been riding lately?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My poor man's Peloton!
fb5c22a5e29bf2d7cb7c03ea5b545abc.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
That works

+ a 1x9 on the other one...:)
Why though. I have never even thought of anything like that. I have never been into bending dropouts to make them wider/narrower. I just don't want to mess with bending frames.

I've been recovering from injuries (both ankles, right lower leg, bruised ribs and a pulled back muscle... among others :grin:) from our Yellowstone vacation...took my first bike ride Saturday, had an hour+ window. Rode to the barber shop for a quick shearing...it was packed...rode back to meet the Wife at the track. So...this was my 'big' ride...

Screenshot_20200201-142429.png

Yep...not even a full mile and a half...epic failure :bigsmile:.

Why though. I have never even thought of anything like that. I have never been into bending dropouts to make them wider/narrower. I just don't want to mess with bending frames.
You can always bend a steel rear triangle back to original with no harm done. There are a jillion bikes laying around, I scrap so many every year that people give me, pick them up in the ditch in the woods after they have been there a month, usually junk or something that they made a million of. If it's not a real rare bike then I have no problem bending or even cutting them up. I do wish I hadn't scrapped some vintage Italian bikes from the 60s though. They have weird bottom brackets so I junked them, a Schwinn Suburban and two old Raleigh road bikes (again weird BB) that I probably should have kept.

You can always bend a steel rear triangle back to original with no harm done. There are a jillion bikes laying around, I scrap so many every year that people give me, pick them up in the ditch in the woods after they have been there a month, usually junk or something that they made a million of. If it's not a real rare bike then I have no problem bending or even cutting them up. I do wish I hadn't scrapped some vintage Italian bikes from the 60s though. They have weird bottom brackets so I junked them, a Schwinn Suburban and two old Raleigh road bikes (again weird BB) that I probably should have kept.
I scrap a lot of bicycles as well for a bike shop. All the bicycles I have Graft are worthy of it. The only one I can think that was not worthy of it was a blue and silver Raleigh with a good condition frame.
I did rescue a Schwinn World Tourist from the scrap yard though. I am just trying to build that up into a single speed as cheap as possible.
Although they are scrapped often and they are still being written today often I did rescue a Schwinn Varsity from the scrap yard.

I scrap a lot of bicycles as well for a bike shop. All the bicycles I have Graft are worthy of it. The only one I can think that was not worthy of it was a blue and silver Raleigh with a good condition frame.
I did rescue a Schwinn World Tourist from the scrap yard though. I am just trying to build that up into a single speed as cheap as possible.
Although they are scrapped often and they are still being written today often I did rescue a Schwinn Varsity from the scrap yard.
I would rescue those too. My scrap bikes come from Walmart or from a friend who has rental units for college student. Every year he gets a pile pf bike he puts beside his store, covered with a tarp, and calls me to haul them away. The local Volunteer Fire Department has a junk jamboree sale in July and they have a bunch of bikes they can't sell that I get. Most are. complete junk.

I would rescue those too. My scrap bikes come from Walmart or from a friend who has rental units for college student. Every year he gets a pile pf bike he puts beside his store, covered with a tarp, and calls me to haul them away. The local Volunteer Fire Department has a junk jamboree sale in July and they have a bunch of bikes they can't sell that I get. Most are. complete junk.
Last weekend I rode my '41 Westfield Wasteland
With the Vintage Ballooners and the
Chicago TailDraggers on the Fox River Trail
812ba2ee0258327f9ee2c4f5ea42e6dc.jpg

Yesterday I rode Harlequin around the Bourbonnais Park District trails
82a9657715d767473a89763603897c4a.jpg

Today I took ALiEN FiRE out for a bit
536b8d5f506aa9cb9856f1655b843fad.jpg

Carl.
ALiEN FiRE looks like he is in constant pain.

I could never keep up with my mom and dad cross country skiing because they were retired. They lived two blocks away from a groomed ski trail and walked to it. They would ski that in the morning, have a snack, pack some food and discuss where to take an afternoon road trip to ski in the afternoon. They usually skied twice a day and had many retired friends who they went with to ski. Once in the 1970s I took a winter vacation and skied 100 miles in 4 days. I didn't have a night lighted trail but they did so if it snowed they could wait for the groomer and then ski under lights. I also usually skied 40 to 50 miles each weekend that I could get away or that the weather allowed for grooming. I think I got around 600 miles in a winter, but never much more. My parents got twice that in their 70s. My dad retired when he was 68 so all this mileage occurred when they were late 60s and 70s. One of their friends is pushing 90 and still skiing. He was USA master's ski jumping champion. In his 60s he skied across Finland, several different times. Two gals in their 60s that I ride bicycles with recently skied across Greenland, but anyone who knows them wasn't surprised by this. I told a friend that they asked across Greenland and he said "oh, that's just Joan and Anna, what did you expect". People are doing some crazy stuff for adventure. People up here in the North spend a lot of time outside. There is a lot to do.
Watch Ski Jumping

Go to the Out House Races.
View attachment 113025
Go to the Heikki Lunta (Hank Snow) Finnish snow god festival.View attachment 113026
Go to the I 500 Snowmobile Race
View attachment 113027
Do a winter swim, or watch
View attachment 113028
See the snow statues
View attachment 113029

Is that an a$$squatch on the house sled?

Latest posts

Back