STOP LOOKING AT MORE COOL BIKES TO BUY!!! On staying focused.... :)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Cards on the table time, I am an addict. I am addicted to collecting stuff.
Not a hoarder... the stuff has to be really nice. :) Always buy quality.

My problem is to many projects that spread my meager finances to the point were I can't do justice to any of the projects.

I had a guy come to to look at my collection of bikes, cars and motorcycles years ago. He said a very wise thing and I think others might benefit from hearing if you are ever in my position....

He said "Gavin,.... you can do anything. But you can't do EVERYTHING"

Wise words.

After he told me that I sold off a bunch of projects.

But over the past few weeks I have been looking at to many very cool bicycles and I REALLY need a reality check and stop looking for more cool projects and focus on the ones I have and do them justice.....

Anyone else there or been there??
First step is admitting you have a problem!! :)

Short rant over.
Regards
Gavin

My name is Matthew, and I have a problem. I am sick in the head over bikes, and most specifically, mountain bikes, preferably from about 1990-2000, but I'd take a peek if you have newer. Or older. Or a cruiser. Or a BMX. I have a list in my head of the bikes I want. I lie to myself and my wife about the size of the list.
"Okay baby, after I finish the RockRat, I need to buy a competent trail bike, it'll be my last mountain bike. A single speed Worksman bomber with suspension, 27.5 and disk up front, 26 and vees out back isn't really a mountain bike. Neither is a hybrid turned into a graveler... And you couldn't ask me to just ignore that listing for the classic Breezer, could you?"
She's very patient, stuck around through worse habits...

Lol.... I’m there. I think a lot of us are.

However, unless you have like 500-600 bikes, I think you’re probably like the rest of us lost souls on here.

I only have like, 14-15 bikes. I know guys with 50, I know a guy with about 400.

4 of my bikes are in project condition, the rest of them are in 100% A+ (Ok, maybe A-) mechanical condition. I’m looking for several projects at any given time. I also have a sweet cafe racer project I’ve been fumbling with for about 6 years that is FAR from done.

In the big picture, as far as hobbies go, bikes are relatively cheap, fun and good for you and others. Especially if you ride ‘em!

There’s lots of worse things you could be spending your time and money on. Sure it’s great to finish those projects, but sometimes it’s just cool knowing you have them.

Funny, I’ve got some really nice bikes, but the ones people want to talk about is the crusty old bike in the corner or the old frame hanging from a rafter!

Accumulating projects is just part of the fun, nothing to worry about, just enjoy the ride!!!

yes. I agree with that.
Some people annoy me by saying "why don't you just finish the project".... well then I WOULDN'T have a project!!!
I "only" have 5 bikes that I would consider part of a collection, plus a couple of modern riders I don't count.
You are right about the healthy hobby.... I could not imagine gambling or any other "hobby" that means at the end of the day you don't have something of value to show for the money you have put in.
I am going to REALLY try to keep putting my effort and money into the 5 I have, and stop looking for more projects. I can put my effort into the hunt for the perfect parts!! :)

yes. I agree with that.
Some people annoy me by saying "why don't you just finish the project".... well then I WOULDN'T have a project!!!
I "only" have 5 bikes that I would consider part of a collection, plus a couple of modern riders I don't count.
You are right about the healthy hobby.... I could not imagine gambling or any other "hobby" that means at the end of the day you don't have something of value to show for the money you have put in.
I am going to REALLY try to keep putting my effort and money into the 5 I have, and stop looking for more projects. I can put my effort into the hunt for the perfect parts!! :)
One note, I do have a family of 6, SO, “my 15 bikes” even though I paid for them and have to maintain them, are not necessarily exclusively mine.

Think of them as investments you can pass along to your loved ones > LOL
Funny that.... one of my bikes I am the third generation owner after my great uncle (who bought it new in 1937) then my father.... so it has been passed down!

One note, I do have a family of 6, SO, “my 15 bikes” even though I paid for them and have to maintain them, are not necessarily exclusively mine.
Phew! I can blame the fleet on my wife and kids! This is convenient, seeing as I store a decent portion in an Undisclosed Location owned by my mother in law. No worries, she's almost as patient with me as my wife

ok... maybe just ONE more.... it's a bargain! :) :)

Wise words. There a few bikes I would not be able to resist. However, I too need to head the wise advice of your friend.

Thanks for posting.

~Kruez

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20190529_182746.jpg

20190529_182752.jpg

I have 10 bikes.
3 of them are fully functioning.
My 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8.
My 1993 Specialized Allez Comp.
My 2018 Breezer RADAR Pro.

Wise words for sure.
But a lot of the fun is in the hunt, for me at least.
More projects, more hunting.
The only time it gets difficult is when I can’t get to a bike I wanna ride, because there’s too many bikes in front of it.

But I too am a full on bike junky. Seems like I sell 5, and 10 replace em. In the last few years I’ve honed in on what I truly appreciate and want to ride, and how I want those bikes to be. That, in part has helped curb a lot of ‘unnecessary’ buying. And price...

Wise words for sure.
But a lot of the fun is in the hunt, for me at least.
More projects, more hunting.
I agree about the pleasure of the hunt. It's a primeval human, mostly male drive.
I also like the "planning and investigation" stage a lot. Making lists of the best parts, looking into each items and replacing them on the list with an even better part!

Also when it comes time to buy that thing you JUST MUST HAVE... you have zero money in the bank... but a whole heap of "stuff" you have bought that you can sell to get the thing that now means more to you than the stuff you are selling.... it's like your bank account.
True recent example.... MUST buy a 1902 Pierce.... must then sell my 1816 flintlock Musket... if I hadn't bought the musket years ago I would not have had that money "in my bank"... so to speak.

Last edited:
I have around ten in my tiny apartment. I want to get down to roughly two of each type.

Two cruisers, which currently I only have one, that has to be built, to redo my ratrod, which in memory of the Nel Lusso will be dubbed; Bus Stop.

Two MTBs; my 83 High Sierra that I'm trying to keep as close to original and retro as possible, ride-with-girlfriend bike, and my 02 GF Katai that is going to be the oposite; trigger shifters, carbon fork, light(er) wheels, shortie fixie straightbar/riser, road double, narrower tires or staggered tires.

Two roadbikes; have four currently, three are frames. Two need the BBs machined out. The Nishiki Prestige is too small for me, so I want to get it where a crank can be put on it and sell it to whomever don't mind it being slightly sticker bombed. A 64cm Fuji Trutemper that is getting all the rx100 group from the Prestige and will be my serious-ish for real wieght-wienie-ish roadbike. GMC Denali to replace my Roadtech that will be a mildly crazy road/street fighter/show bike/solo ride build. 86 Schwinn Prelude that is mostly original/restomod, has 700c's, deep vee front wheel, red bartape and housings. Getting red pedals and it's done. I'm probably going to put the front wheel on the gmc. It's my solo daily.

I have one BMX bike(which is fine) some black DK. I also have a unknown frame that I am not keeping.

As far as misc bikes; I have a54/6cm 84 Schwinn Probe frame that I got to replace mine that broke, but I nolonger want it anymore. I wanted to make a false fixie with it, but it won't work. That citybike was my first street fighter build. I'm trying to sell the frame, but I might build it with thid 8sp wheel and rd, throw a front wheel on it, partially build it and sell it. My '12(?) Trek 800 Sport Single Track that was my second or third street fighter that had another set of wheels for offroading. I want to sell it. It needs wheels, cables, cockpit, chain, brake pads. The seatpost is stuck... and so are my Primo pedals I liked so much. Schwinn Link that I want to make in to a awd ebike.

There's the cargo trike build and the trailer build that the high sierra will be the main tow rig for... and incase it need be, the trike will hilariously pull it, too.

It's a hobby, maybe even an addiction, but at least the worst thing to happen is you lose money. I've got parts waiting on the right bike to come by. I'm a sucker for 80s/90s rigid mtbs and cruisers- my first loves and got me in to biking. That Prestige was my first ever roadbike I got around 2013, it was like stepping in a new world of cycling. I can always find an excuse to get a bike or something. Right now I'm thimking about keeping the trek as the trailers permanate tow rig, so I never have to disconnect it other than servicing the bike, and I can run the trailer brakes like I want to.

My name is Brian and I have a problem. Problem is that I tell my wife just one more then go to swap meet see a deal I can't pass up then before I realize it money out of my wallet and into their hand and can't remember taking wallet out lol. There is a second problem that's I don't have the money for a couple dream bikes :20:

This winter, my bike jones has gotten so bad, I'm thinking about buying a new bike for the first time in about 30 years. I need to ride, and Jamis Dragonslayer 26+ would make a great winter ride. Did I mention that it's like 50% off? Even if you add the price of snow tires, it almost makes it a reasonable price!

This winter, my bike jones has gotten so bad, I'm thinking about buying a new bike for the first time in about 30 years. I need to ride, and Jamis Dragonslayer 26+ would make a great winter ride. Did I mention that it's like 50% off? Even if you add the price of snow tires, it almost makes it a reasonable price!
I am thinking about getting another Trek for $35.

Latest posts

Back