1951 J.C. Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those pipes are killer! I guarantee you would have some buyers if you made more.

Was thinking the exact same thing.

Thanks! That occurred to me. If I ever get my own printer instead of having to use the one at work, I just might consider that.

On a related note, here's an alternate version I was fooling with a design for:
20200214_143936.jpg

Last edited:
It was bugging me that the guard doesn't have the white trim. Looks like someone brush painted the whole thing red. So I tried to fake the white line back on, along with a little creative model naming. Not as convincing as some of the other guards I've done, but I think this will look better once I actually ride it some and get it more naturally beat up-looking.
20200215_161049.jpg
20200215_163246.jpg
20200216_090731.jpg
20200216_090758.jpg
20200216_090820.jpg
20200216_090711.jpg

I haven't seen this exact model in a catalog to find a model name, and from what I've read it seems likely that this was built by Columbia to be similar to whatever the "official" Murray-built J.C. Higgins was that year, which seems to be the one on this page, and which is called the Special DeLuxe.

Thanks! That occurred to me. If I ever get my own printer instead of having to use the one at work, I just might consider that.

On a related note, here's an alternate version I was fooling with a design for:
View attachment 113960

Those headers are super cool! :43: Think you can be kind enough to post the project? I think I could use them in one of my projects

It was bugging me that the guard doesn't have the white trim. Looks like someone brush painted the whole thing red. So I tried to fake the white line back on, along with a little creative model naming. Not as convincing as some of the other guards I've done, but I think this will look better once I actually ride it some and get it more naturally beat up-looking.
View attachment 114021 View attachment 114022 View attachment 114024 View attachment 114025 View attachment 114026 View attachment 114023

I haven't seen this exact model in a catalog to find a model name, and from what I've read it seems likely that this was built by Columbia to be similar to whatever the "official" Murray-built J.C. Higgins was that year, which seems to be the one on this page, and which is called the Special DeLuxe.

The chain guard look great, as does the whole bike.
What did you use to mask off the lettering?

The chain guard look great, as does the whole bike.
What did you use to mask off the lettering?
Thanks! I made a stencil for the lettering. My wife has an electronic die cutter machine called a Cricut. I have found that with a little design work, I can create pretty cool designs on the computer and then have the Cricut cut out a stencil. Here's a couple links to some other stuff I did with it:

Murray headbadge

Murray graphics

Manta Ray chain guard

Scrambler seat graphic

Scrambler frame graphic

thanks! :cool2::thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back