Hey There

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I'm rad or rat enough to be here, but I found this place while searching for info. on the Komet Super hub on my ladies' cruiser from Sears (Murray?). I've been told the bike is probably early 60s.

The bike was bought by my wife at an open-air flea market in MN some years ago. We later moved to hilly Seattle, and now to hilly Cincinnati. Not at all practical a ride. It sat unused for some years. I didn't consider it anything really rideable. In fact, I thought it was probably kind of fragile.

When getting ready to move to another house, I broke out this bike and a 1960 Schwinn Racer that also has been gathering dust for about as long, and I rode them around my driveway with my daughter on her little bike. I think that day sparked something kinda' cool.

I started to actually put the bikes into use, including having my child ride on the back on a cushioned seat I made.

Well, that coaster brake started to act pretty angry and, now, finding some real value in, and affinity for, the bike I sought options to take care of it. I didn't think I was capable or had the tools, but I'm happy to report that I was able to take apart the hub sufficiently to access all three caged bearings, clean the thing out and load it up with hi-heat grease.

The instructions found here at Rat Rod Bikes were the key, though I had to view the pictures with watermarks on them because I was not a member. Thank you.

BTW, I know it's a ladies' bike and I'm a dude. I guess I'm secure enough, eh?

Welcome to the coolest old bike site on the interweb!

We have a ton of fun here, and the bike knowledge and intuition is of a high degree. Looking forward to having you continue to actively participate!

Back in the day, many of us used Photobucket as a means for posting photos. That's why some old photos are watermarked or not visible at all. They now charge very high fees to belong and use their service.

You can upload photos directly to your posts by clicking on the 'Upload a File' button at the bottom of your post. Then when you've selected and Open-ed your photo, it will appear as a thumbnail below your post here on RRB. Click on 'Full Image'
and your photo will appear after your last written comment in your post.

As the saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words." We love to see photos of what people are up to on their builds!

RaT oN~!

Oh that's great news! I read in the community guidelines that one must use Photobucket or similar. I will try to post a pic right now!

Woo hoo! This is the Sears bike, still bearing the sold tag from that flea market after all these years. I decided to see how long the tag would stay on there.

This is prior to me adding the thick padded seat on the rear rack for my 50 lb. daughter, and before adding some very crude foot pegs.

SearsBike.JPG

Nope, you're "Rat" enough. I'm a mountain biker, none of my bikes are anything special, and they still welcome me and my lunacy.
The Sears is rad, I think someone around here is building a similar bike for his lady. The Schwinn has tons of potential. Clean it, ride it, read the forum, get ideas for what you want, and go with it.

Nope, you're "Rat" enough. I'm a mountain biker, none of my bikes are anything special, and they still welcome me and my lunacy.
The Sears is rad, I think someone around here is building a similar bike for his lady. The Schwinn has tons of potential. Clean it, ride it, read the forum, get ideas for what you want, and go with it.
Cool! Yeah, I am already riding both the bikes (one at a time). They are both in such original condition. The Schwinn had original tires and brake pads. It's got two city registration stickers from Normal, IL – a 1964 and a 1968 if I recall. The Sears seems to have original tires as well, and they are in good shape.

I squirted automotive ATF into the oil port of the rear hub to help ensure it was, you know, lubed. I don't at all feel up to taking it apart and cleaning/lubing it.

Yeah I'm at about the same level, haven't taken apart any hubs yet. I've read some great instructions from Sheldon Brown though, might tackle a set for the one I'm working on now.

Latest posts

Back