Unofficial March Shootout II

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First grandbaby was born last night, so took time out from Know when to Fold'em and did my first official act as grandpa this afternoon. The first of many wooden toys to come. Then I worked some more on the bike for my son. Got the front brake hooked up and mounted some reflectors since the bike will spend half or better of its time on city streets. Still waiting on the tires. Gotta decide on some handlebar grips too.
1f2c4a24a9922dbe1a7d7793dc15bc16.jpg
15629f29b2999057e6107a38e46d51c9.jpg
fe422e70bf293a0ec96016f1a4bda6ff.jpg
21ec15cb5f626b56bfd4611670bbaad7.jpg
9e31f2864c84684611d8adabbc2232ed.jpg
e51a05de7f8a9e13f393147c9f94a7e0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
i have 6 now 1 on the way best thing about grand kids you can spoil them then send them home lol.

After a bit of a hiatus have decided to jump in,
bit confused, (all the time if I'm honest) do I
post pic's here or start a new thread of my
build?

Thank you............

After a bit of a hiatus have decided to jump in,
bit confused, (all the time if I'm honest) do I
post pic's here or start a new thread of my
build?

Thank you............
Everything gets posted here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks Andy I'm in with this little rocket I pulled off
the scrap pile, yep she was a throw out cost zippo!
Check out those apes, man your fingers would be
getting frost bite with them up that high in the sky!
"One person's trash another treasure,"

49654189237_f4246e9499_c.jpg

Planing on keeping her quick and simple hopefully a
one day build. As is my thing at the moment the whole
thing is coming down lower, few parts I plan to use in
the picture above.

Been away from pedal powered bikes for a bit getting
my project motor cycle on the road.

49476091067_c78699fd6f_c.jpg

Last edited:
Well nuts, the Melting Mann gravel race has been cancelled because of the big bad CV. I have the course uploaded so I plan to drive 8 hours south and ride it solo. I gotta look at something besides snowbanks. I don’t care about racing, I just want to go to place where you can ride.

Vintage MTB with a Slingshot? Someone is fishing for Matti's vote!
Interesting positioning of the bar extenders... Have you tested them yet? I can see the location giving a useful hand hold, but the angle seems a little bit steep.

Vintage MTB with a Slingshot? Someone is fishing for Matti's vote!
Interesting positioning of the bar extenders... Have you tested them yet? I can see the location giving a useful hand hold, but the angle seems a little bit steep.
Haven't tested anything yet just trying to gain a little height so I don't have to bent over all the time . I'm open to suggestions ?

When I have mine on, I put them at the end of the bar, they're nicknamed bar ends or bull horns.
IMG_20190618_122231415_HDR.jpg

Regardless of where you rock them, I think they should be tilted forward more. This makes for a more natural wrist angle when you are on the uprights.
iro-584-09.jpg

*I can't see the full extensions in your pictures, they're cropped out. If you have longer extensions, and are positioning them so you are comfy on the top bars, then whatever angle fits is the one to go with

Rotating your wrists 90° raises the arm, plus the lowest point of the hand will still be above the bar's original position. I'm not talking a major rotation, just clocking them forward a few degrees for a more natural wrist angle while on the vertical portion of the extensions. Once you get to ride it, you'll figure out where they belong.

*My bar ends (the first picture I posted above) aren't set up for the upright position, they're pretty far forward, I like getting over the front for climbing. Even with this setting, and ends that look considerably shorter than yours, I'm still more upright when I'm on them while in the saddle. Also, changing hand positions on long rides is great!

Found a crusty headlight that my front fender was actually pre-drilled for, it was found under an old house along with my chain guard.
mK4lMC3.jpg

The bearings and cups from my parts bike look usable.
https://imgur.com/jD5aWqr
ROZEhsU.jpg

also found a pre cut and shortened fender set that might make a rear fender combined and has better patina
ab0hxCO.jpg

Meanwhile at my walmart
5V8isRJ.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back