1987 Miyata Terra Runner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished! Too much ice to test ride now, but I'm pretty happy with it. :)

IMG_1269.JPG
IMG_1271.JPG

Dug thru stash and found a couple of wheels from a Schwinn Frontier.
View attachment 112065
Donor was a ladies frame and also way small so I stripped for parts. Alloy rims, Shimano hubs and quick release skewers. Bike had little use but must of been hanging in the rafters and has a thick coating of that tobacco scum I used to clean off of the inside windows of cars. Lotsa scrubbing l to remove.
View attachment 112066 View attachment 112067
Had a couple of Pannaracer 26 x 2.0 tires - looked puny on a cruiser but nice on this.
View attachment 112068 View attachment 112069 View attachment 112070
Tiny dropout adjuster screws provide precise rear axle alignment.
View attachment 112073 View attachment 112071
Bottom bracket brakes!
I took my bottom bracket roller cam brake off my 80s mountain bike and welded on canti mounts on the seat stays. Much better, but not original.

I see a problem with the brake and chain running properly... Unless you change the cranks to 1 speed :39:
index.php

With the wheel removed in this pic it looks bad but when assembled the chain just clears the brake when on the small chain ring!

Removed these rusty brackets - maybe fender mounts?View attachment 112139 View attachment 112140
The rear derailleur thumb shifter switches from index to friction!
View attachment 112141
Seat post not stuck. It is extra long and includes mfg. date of 10/87.
View attachment 112142 View attachment 112143
Ritchey grips look like black rubber but actually clear silicone and very very dirty. :eek:
View attachment 112144
Rear derailleur is worn out and I will replace it.
View attachment 112145 View attachment 112146
Fits riders from 5ft to 7ft!

Really a wonderful bike to ride. Amazing that it feels like the old BMW 1600 I used to have, you feel every little bump but there is definitely a firm flex spring feeling to it.
Gearing is perfect. Never needed to switch from middle ring. :)

I like everything about this bike, including the cushy ride from the 26 x 2 Pannaracer tires.
DSCF7293.JPG

I'm curious how different this bike will ride with thinner 26 x 1.5 tires and less rolling resistance. I have a very heavy Ross Central Park I picked up at auction.
DSCF7285.JPG

This bike came stock with these skinny tires! The originals were shot so I replaced them with the same size. Then I never rode it and I think the small tires are a major reason why so I'm blowing the Ross apart.
DSCF7300.JPG
DSCF7302.JPG
DSCF7303.JPG

Have only rode a short distance and brakes need adjusting. Shifts, but does not shift has positively, going to put a few miles on it and see how it shakes out. Always have option of putting these tires on the old aluminum wheels as these are steel.
I wonder how much of the ride feel is in the rim/wheel assembly and material?

Latest posts

Back