Summer Build Off?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've historically been entrenched very deeply in the non-motorized camp, but part of me wants to work an electric hub motor into this year's build-off bike.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
fa909ddc947815d3f8a231a1d3f47089.jpg

Last edited:
Are the front tires leaning into the corner? If so, that's some complicated engineering! I'm following a build on another thread, a guy from China building an off road leaning cargo trike, and it's crazy the stuff he's having to come up with! Haven't heard from him in a few weeks though...

I've historically been entrenched very deeply in the non-motorized camp, but part of me wants to work an electric hub motor into this year's build-off bike.

It's definitely got the look for a motorized build!

New one to me...I had to stare at it a bit to figure out what went where :39:. Pretty cool starting point!

I'm ready, but need to know the rules. I'm already in trouble with my wife. I came home from my LBS with a couple of clunkers destined for their dumpster. Still have 2 custom bikes I haven't finished.

My earlier suggestion in this thread was to go back to the deadline a month before, like nearly every other build-off previous to #14 was. August 9 end date would allow a MBBO (Muscle Bike Build Off) to start on Sept 1 and be done by Jan 1. Those of us in the northern part of the northern hemisphere run out of heat by mid-October....

Then a winter build time frame from Feb 1 - March 31 would allow for a Winter Build Off, and honor those who are cooped up inside with nothing to do, or our southern hemisphere friends who have warm weather to build in outdoors / non-insulated shops.

Both plans allow for a month in between build offs. @Rat Rod , thoughts?

I actually prefer the expanded 4 month build off we had last year.

Last year's longer time frame brought out the procrastination in me and I kinda lost steam in the middle. Finding two other cool bikes that "demanded" my attention during the build off didn't help either! LOL
Shorter time helps keep the sense of urgency and focus. At least for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Three months works for me, I think. Four months last year seemed stretch things out as I was basically done in three. August has been our travel month in the past. I’m flexible, the muscle bike build off doesn’t interest me, not my niche.

Sent using Tapatalk

Hate to disagree with the King, but three months seems like a nice time frame. Normally, being two weeks out from the 1st of May didn’t seem like such a long time. Now who knows what kind of turmoil we’ll be wading through by then. My optimistic hope is less than we are today. And in that optimism, I’m intending to enter, for the first time in the Unlimited class, though only because what I have isn’t traditional. Or rusty.

1AFCFE44-7FE9-41FB-A5AF-ABD0C21B721D.jpeg

furyus

Hate to disagree with the King, but three months seems like a nice time frame. Normally, being two weeks out from the 1st of May didn’t seem like such a long time. Now who knows what kind of turmoil we’ll be wading through by then. My optimistic hope is less than we are today. And in that optimism, I’m intending to enter, for the first time in the Unlimited class, though only because what I have isn’t traditional. Or rusty.

View attachment 117030

furyus

Killer inspiration right there.

With what we are all dealing with, I think an extra month would help. Some vendors are working with limited staff, which means longer wait times for needed parts and supplies. I've been waiting almost a month for a bushing I need, it still hasn't shipped.

Collecting some loose parts, ready to hit the ground running...or at least moving slowly.

Sent using Tapatalk

Ok- there I am. Wasn’t sure I was signed in.
Don’t have much laying around but I have an idea or two for this summer. Won’t be a Trike but maybe an early 2000’s mountain bike turned boardwalk cruiser. Try to incorporate this bad ... light I found on this old Sunbeam snowblower.
4eef0cfd5a2828deeb1971860cfa81de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back