BO15 Cyrus the Virus

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about you but I need about 30" from the center of my crank to the seat top. I'm guessing the seat won't sit quite that low.

GC.

I'm putting that seat as low as I can. At least that's the plan for right now.

That is one of the sexiest trike frames I think I have ever seen. Nice work!!!!! Seat and tank mocks are looking cool too.

Well the two steps forward one back, has bit, and I have no one to blame but myself. I spent the day running around and was excited to get the back brace in place.

I found an easy way to bend small tubing. A pair of vice grips and a junk wheel. While laying out the design for the brace I grabbed a 27" wheel that had a curb or pothole dent in it to draw the curves. When it came time to bend the tube, I thought "Is a bike wheel strong enough to use as a buck?" Why yes it is!

Clamp the tube to the wheel,

P4290063.jpg

Then just bend it!

P4290062.jpg

The two pieces next to my pattern.

P4290065.jpg

Welded in place with the inner braces,

P4300066.jpg

So now for the one step back, and a word of advice for anyone as stupid as me. Remove the axle BEFORE you cut the housing!:headbang:

P4300067.jpg

I guess I now have spare jackshaft axles!

Last edited:
I found an easy easy to bend small tubing. A pair of vice grips and a junk wheel. While laying out the design for the brace I grabbed a 27" wheel that had a curb or pothole dent in it to draw the curves. When it came time to bend the tube, I thought "Is a bike wheel strong enough to use as a buck?" Why yes it is!

Clamp the tube to the wheel,

View attachment 118788

Then just bend it!

View attachment 118789

That is so simple, yet so impressive!:13: Guess now I have a use for some old wheels...

The new axle is on its way. The hubs I'm using have a 1 1/4" hole with a keyway, the axle is 5/8". I found 5/8" x 1 1/"4 bearings for the axle housing and the freewheeling hub. On the drive side I found a 5/8" x1 1/4" steel bushing. The local machine shop wanted $75 to cut the keyway, one of the guys I work with suggested I cut it myself. So armed with my angle grinder and file I was able to cut a nice path for the keyway. When the axle arrives I will weld the bushing to it.

I put my freewheel on to check chain clearances and it looks good so far. I won't know for sure until I get a derailleur mounted.

Oooooooops, forgot the pics.

P5010068.jpg
P5010069.jpg

Last edited:
Killer bending jig. I will have to remember that one.

That tube shaping idea is mind bending! Really like the design you came up with for the rear.
I'm thinking you just basically teased us with your work in the MBBO / WBO this past Fall / Winter. Now you're giving us the whole show!
RaT oN~!

That tube shaping idea is mind bending! Really like the design you came up with for the rear.
I'm thinking you just basically teased us with your work in the MBBO / WBO this past Fall / Winter. Now you're giving us the whole show!
RaT oN~!
I'm actually learning as I build, it might seem like I know what I'm doing, but it's just trial and error at this point.

Killer bar mounts!!!!
I learned a while back to use goggles anytime I am on the grander. Go to the pharmacy and get an eye wash.

1588882657271.png

Killer bar mounts!!!!
I learned a while back to use goggles anytime I am on the grander. Go to the pharmacy and get an eye wash.

View attachment 119267
I had a face shield on. I believe I need to hermetically seal my eyes whenever I work on anything! I've been through this so many times, but it won't stop me. I did use eyewash but it didn't help much. I did manage to sleep last night, this morning it seems to have worked it's way out.

Some pics of how Cyrus sits right now.

P5030072.jpg
P5030073.jpg
P5030074.jpg
P5030075.jpg
P5030076.jpg
P5030077.jpg

The next step is figuring out my seat and where to put the bottom bracket. I'll need to have the bars mounted to do so. Merle's logical brother suggested I raise the seat, After sitting on it, he's right. It's very uncomfortable with it so low.

Now I need some help from you guys, What size chainring would you suggest as a starting point for this? The rear tires are 18.5" in diameter. I'm thinking 39t.

Not very much progress today. I sat down and stared at the frame for a while to decide if I like it. Something was missing, it's close but not quite right. I decided to see if a tank would look good, the first mock up was a fail in the design, but the bulk it added to the top tube was a step in the right direction. I then came up with this design which hopefully won't be too hard to make in metal. View attachment 118552View attachment 118553View attachment 118554View attachment 118555View attachment 118556
I have a chopper I started a while back, haven't finished it yet. But the tank wasn't difficult to make, still haven't finished it yet either.
20200508_112652.jpg
20200508_112705.jpg
20200508_112743.jpg

WHOA!!!!! Those wheels are killer. This trike just jumped to a honothalevel!!!!

Front gear to rear gear ratio will also depend on the rear gear. So what ratio is desired and what size rear gear do you have? Lots of info to Google.

Logical Carl.

Front gear to rear gear ratio will also depend on the rear gear. So what ratio is desired and what size rear gear do you have? Lots of info to Google.

Logical Carl.
I forgot to post that I plan to use the Varsity Freewheel. I have no idea what gear ratio would be ideal for this. I'm also wondering if I should maybe get a freewheel with a granny gear for hills as those back tires are pretty heavy.

Right now my plan is to use the Varsity parts to get me into the ballpark.

Latest posts

Back