Shipping a Bike across the US

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have suggestions on how to pack a bike for shipping across the country? Wood or Cardboard Crating? Use USPS, FedEx or UPS? I have a bike for sale locally and would like to advertise on the Bike Groups on facebook but not sure how to approach the shipping aspect of it. I've sold and shipped items on Ebay but the items were much smaller than a bike.

I have a vague memory of a thread a while back where someone layed out good instructions for packing a bike to ship

I have used Bikefights(uses UPS) and Shipbikes(uses FedEx) for shipping Bikes, Wheels and Parts. A whole bike in a BikeBox from your Bike Shop average dimensions are 54x29x9 and say 60lbs cost like $70-90 to ship from Virginia to California.

Cost me $89.00 to ship from Kalifornia to Misery. UPS. It was in a bike specific box from Specialized. Reused. Shipped in the box but arrived wrapped in plastic so the parts wouldn't fall out. The forks stuck out and one leg was bent. The front axle was bent, chain ring was bent so badly it now hit the chain guard which was bent slightly. I THINK all the parts at least were inside the box. I wouldn't whizz on a UPS truck if it were on fire at this point. This was a used '50s Schwinn Women's 24" Hornet in green with nothing but real use dents and missing the rocket shaped light. Not NOS but nice for a '50s bike. I'm spending some real money at the LBS to make it roadworthy again. It did have NOS tires with no wear on the rims. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? I think UPS has hired guttersnipes for extra help during this high volume time. Be Well, RZ SS.

Watch out for Fed Ex, Wal-Mart uses them for the 125 Anniversary Schwinns and reviewers overwhelmingly report shipping damage. FedEx got mine, obvious carton damage and a bent rack. It was well padded but I don't know what you can do about a full corner drop.

Funny. Online retailer Jet (who Wally bought to get online market share) used to do the same thing, Amazon had items cheaper than Jet could so they had Amazon drop ship it direct to the customer...

Latest posts

Back