Schwinn OCC StingRay 3-Speed hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a 3-speed Schwinn OCC Sting Ray and would like to add a disc brake to the left (opposite the chain cog).

Since the factory 3-speed OCC choppers use rim brakes, there are no brake parts on the hub itself. Amazingly, this hub (SX-RB3) is designed for a BAND brake! While I'm sure band brakes are acceptable on pedal power when used in conjunction with a front brake, it just won't do for a motorized bike that will hopefully be capable of 35 - 40 mph.

The hub has a male threaded journal to hold the braking surface (which looks like a centrifugal clutch drum) to it. The journal measures 1.375" (35mm?) diameter with very fine thread which I assume would be clockwise.

I can't find the band brake components anywhere. Even the factory parts diagram doesn't show part numbers. I was hoping to use the drum as a starting point to mount a brake rotor.

Does anyone know of an existing threaded part that could be used to mount a disc brake rotor to the hub?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201020-214716~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20201020-214716~2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 109
Yes, if you are motorizing a Stingray you need to have a look at Pedalchopper website.. what you are looking for is a thread on disc brake adapter.
I thought of that and I measured the freewheel sprocket journal on a spare single speed OCC StingRay because I'll aware that Jim Wilson at Pedalchopper has a threaded adapter for those. It appears to be about .125" bigger in diameter. I'll contact him since he's likely experienced with this scenario.

Jim Wilson from pedalchopper.com says the adapter he sells for taking the freewheel sprocket off the rear hub on a single speed OCC is the same thread but having both hubs at hand to measure with my dial calipers (Starrett brand, very accurate), I have to question that. Unless I'm measuring the wrong spot, the threaded portion of the freewheel appears to be .125" too big.

The bicycledesigner.com parts should be exactly what I need. I noticed that not only are the rotor adapters out of stock, LOTS of other stuff is too. Is this common with the bicycledesigner.com website?

Latest posts

Back