CCM Mid 40s? 28'' wheeler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up on Marketplace on the weekend, I actually walked down the street to get it and rode it home, lol.

Not sure on exact year, but judging by the screwed on headbadge (that's missing), tall headtube and the curved top tube, it's somewhere around 1940s. There's so many layers of paint on bot hthe frame and wheels, I can't find the serial number, lol. All I know it's a CCM bike, with CCM cranks, hubs and Canadian made original wheels in 28 -1 1/2'' It's also got a Pletscher dual kickstand. Fork seems bent as well in at least two ways, as it pulls to the right when riding.

Worth restoring, leaving as is or parts?

P_20201018_143744.jpg

P_20201018_144012.jpg
P_20201018_144045.jpg

I don't see tons of value on the step through frames, but CCMs are nice bikes. Does the fork look like it is bent back in the second picture?
Unrelated point, I know a guy who could use an old double kickstand for their CCM tandem... ;)

Im not a real fan of step throughs either. Yea, fork is bent from what I can tell. Lol, I'll probably keep the kickstand for future builds, I like the butterfly/double kickstands.

Figured I'd continue the thread, found its twin sister today...CCM parts but Humphry branded. Still has most of the headtube badge, different CCM cranks...They're stamped CCM on the spindle but don't have the usual cut out CCM chainring. Same hubs and everything else for the most part..

Curious about the "M" handlebar ornament...never seem them before...

P_20201021_181211.jpg

P_20201021_181227.jpg

Figured I'd continue the thread, found its twin sister today...CCM parts but Humphry branded. Still has most of the headtube badge, different CCM cranks...They're stamped CCM on the spindle but don't have the usual cut out CCM chainring. Same hubs and everything else for the most part..

Curious about the "M" handlebar ornament...never seem them before...

View attachment 142330

View attachment 142331
Those pieces up front could possibly be mounts for lanterns such as these.
This is a 1958 Swiss Army bike with an Elite Lantern.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 77
I thought about a light mount, but dismissed the idea due to lack of wear on mine...and no branding on it that sounded like a light company. But, I guess it just wasn't used much :39:.
I'm no expert, but I think some bikes came with them even if they didn't come with a light. At least all the Raleigh ones I've seen are branded Raleigh.

Hm, neat. The more you know. Had similar on a Triumph 20 I sold earlier this year, was stem mounted though and had a hole to hold all the cables nicely. No special cutout on it though.

Curious though....what the "M" could mean? I'm assuming it's the brand of light it was for. Since it's not an "H" for Humpfrey. I've seen the Raleigh stem mount versions with the logo cutout on them.

Sold this Humphry to the niece of the guy who owned Humphry bicycles
can't remember exact year but was in the 1950s .
And yes the little tab on your handle bars is for a lamp probably a 2 D cell one that looks like a miners lantern .
M could stand for Miller Headlights
This one had Chrome wheels that polished up like new .
Looks like who ever painted yours even went as far as to paint the pinstripes on the wheels
a good effort on their part .
I put a set of electra Amsterdam 700x40s on this one to dress it up a little and threw on some old Cream Union CCM pedals .
Had to use the little Giant fork tool on this one as well but front wheel was perfect .

IMG_8357.jpeg

Latest posts

Back