BMX build off inspiration pics. Post yours too.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy cow, there's actually a modification for that?! I've always wondered! Having something like that would mean you're bike would have 2 good sides for photos! Everything would be nearly symmetrical! This is just the thing for those of us with OCD!
The dual chain freewheel drive doesn't truly work as intended due to chanring runout and pawls not engaging simultaneous. There is one dominate side. The load flips from side to side. The percentage is low both sides work together. The freewheel threads on the non-drive side are left-hand twist. Requires a special hub. I believe the first Clem crank sets included 2 of the same arms with right-hand threads. The extra chain added more weight. Lotta experimentation in the early days.

I've never heard of this show, I don't know anything about this show, but I do know this: that was some darn good biking in that intro! The kid doing the wheelie at the end is "neighborhood legend" material!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Any_Sunday
What's up with the pie cut in the sprocket?
Unfortunately I couldn't find a how it work demonstration.

Forgive the unfamiliar, but this is giving me Millennium Falcon vibes; it looks like a piece of junk, but I can't help but feel it rides far better than it looks to me. It genuinely looks homemade to me, like some guy had some scrap box tubing, a little diamond plate, a few BMX bike parts, a welder and some spare time on his hands. I can't say it looks cool to me, but I know looks aren't everything...
You had to be there to appreciate it all. I was very tempted to do a shock bike for the BMXBO. There's no place around me where I could utilize. I'd get left in the dust riding with modern MTBs.

The dual chain freewheel drive doesn't truly work as intended due to chanring runout and pawls not engaging simultaneous. There is one dominate side. The load flips from side to side. The percentage is low both sides work together. The freewheel threads on the non-drive side are left-hand twist. Requires a special hub. I believe the first Clem crank sets included 2 of the same arms with right-hand threads. The extra chain added more weight. Lotta experimentation in the early days.
So in other words, the dual chain freewheel drive is cool, but impractical. Can't say I'm surprised.
Oh, it's a movie! Cool, I'll have to check it out!
Unfortunately I couldn't find a how it work demonstration.
Bummer, I was hoping to see it in action, or at least have a better understanding of how it worked, but hey, thanks for at least trying to find something!
You had to be there to appreciate it all. I was very tempted to do a shock bike for the BMXBO. There's no place around me where I could utilize. I'd get left in the dust riding with modern MTBs.
I believe so. I wasn't born until about 20 years after this scene was happening back in the '70s. Still, weird as that bike looks to me, I still think it's cool, especially after watching that documentary on Monoshocks that @Rat Rod shared earlier!

Had these three out on Saturday

strokers_redline003.jpg

Question for the group.

What would you call these bmx bars with the bolt on cross bar, for the sake of an internet search to buy some?

Also can the cross bar be bought separately and be put on any bars you can make it fit on?

Latest posts

Back