RAT / ROD MODEL KIT BASH CHALLENGE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m fitting the last piece of 1/32 inch bulsa sheeting on the fuselage. I use masking tape on the open space I want to cover, trace the outline on the tape, remove the tape, place the tape on a bulsa sheet and cut out the outline with scissors. The plastic Rommels Rod parts have been painted but I am still missing parts for the drag engine so I have’t glued that together yet. The wing dihedral broke as it only has two narrow 1/16 bulsa strips holding it in place. I’m trying tin can reinforcement plates but I don’t think that will work. I’ll probably have to use paper mache to reinforce it.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
The Hobby Lobbys I visit have very few diecast, and I don't think any were 1:18. HL always has a 40% off a single item coupon you can pull up on your smart phone...models tend to be marked at $29.99… some cheaper, though that is becoming more uncommon.

The Hobby Lobbys I visit have very few diecast, and I don't think any were 1:18. HL always has a 40% off a single item coupon you can pull up on your smart phone...models tend to be marked at $29.99… some cheaper, though that is becoming more uncommon.
Yeah on the weeks that models are not 40% off. I only get one model because I use the 40% off coupon on my phone.
Elcamino $19.80
Camaro $16.40

Dag nabit, I got exposed Monday to the Covid at PT. The whole PT department is closed for two weeks. I just got a call from the contract tracing nurse and I have to quarantine into December. I can work on the bash models and I took a bike seat out of the garage that needs recovering. This will keep me busy. Five others also had contact with me since Monday. What a mess. I can do almost my entire PT sequence at home except for the weight machine and the force and hold manipulations. It should work out OK for me. Covid has been spreading here because we had the biggest tourist season on record. Tourists are still coming in small numbers as they are out of work and the kids are home. I ran into four cars of folks from Detroit today that were visiting the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. I ran ito them in my attempt to get into the shut down PT department.

Dag nabit, I got exposed Monday to the Covid at PT. The whole PT department is closed for two weeks. I just got a call from the contract tracing nurse and I have to quarantine into December. I can work on the bash models and I took a bike seat out of the garage that needs recovering. This will keep me busy. Five others also had contact with me since Monday. What a mess. I can do almost my entire PT sequence at home except for the weight machine and the force and hold manipulations. It should work out OK for me. Covid has been spreading here because we had the biggest tourist season on record. Tourists are still coming in small numbers as they are out of work and the kids are home. I ran into four cars of folks from Detroit today that were visiting the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. I ran ito them in my attempt to get into the shut down PT department.
Oh no! Hope it goes well.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Stupid rona

Stay strong, Clyde. We need you around here

Baron von RAThofen and his Funfdecker Fokker

Finally made some time to start putting some of these parts together. I haven't been keeping up with the other builds either, so I need to do that as well..

Laid out all of the parts to see what I had to work with.

20201121_172802.jpg

Put together the Lil Baron rear wheels and rear end

20201121_173726.jpg
20201121_173945.jpg

I love the exaggerated dragster stretch of the wheels. They mount into the Iron Cross base to to hold the model in that launching from the line stance. This is very much like some the Deals Wheels models where.

20201121_174038.jpg

I built the Lil Baron engine, but the lil inline 5 is a bit too small for my plans. I'll use it elsewhere though.

20201121_174848.jpg

Time to azzemble der hemi engine. I love the instructions from the Deals Wheels model. It is a hoot to read.

20201121_181441.jpg

The partial kit I have doesn't have the rotary part or propeller, but it does have the complete hemi with the awesome headers. I plan to do some frame mods to stretch it out to fit the engine, so I need to hold off on attaching the headers for now. Check out how much bigger the hemi is to the lil 5 banger.

20201121_190511.jpg

The front wheels from the Lil Baron are just too small as well. So I am going to use the Luftwaffle wheels from the Deals model. I love the patch wheels and the tire lettering. I have plans for the smaller wheels too.

20201121_192205 (2).jpg

I made sure to not "zement" the hub to the wheels.

20201121_192231.jpg

20201121_192205.jpg

20201121_192201.jpg

The Luftwaffel wheels may be a little big, but once I stretch the frame and have Der Hemi in there, I think it will look fun.

20201121_193241.jpg

I put together Der Baron head from Der Deals model.

20201121_194155.jpg

I was hoping the cool chrome Colonel Klink helmet would fit the Red Skull action figure, but the red skull head is too small. I plan to use the action figure body and cut Der Baron head to fit the body.

20201121_194100.jpg

I needed more super glue but the hardware store was out. I found a similar but superior product. A little thicker than super glue but not as thick as jell. Dries in 30 seconds and cures in a half hour. There is a lot in the container and the nozzle doesn’t have bad clogging if at all if you wipe it. It smells like superglue. Made in the U.K. but I bought it at a local store.
image.jpg

I’m waiting for some more stuff, it should be here by Wednesday. All the 1/32 bulsa is on the plane frame but it is so figowing cold out that two minutes of sanding is all I can handle before my feet and hands get numb and I have to quit. The brisk north wind penetrates. The plan is to sand and come into warm up, repeat. The next step is for a skin of paper mache over the paper thin bulsa.
image.jpg

The clear circular spots in the snow are the springs feeding the lake. They are easy to find in the summer. When you swim into one you know it. The water temperature goes from seventy to fifty. It’s been unseasonably warm (40s F), but that might be over.
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back