Splinter removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a splinter on the end of my index finger so deep that I can't even see it.

Can't figure out how to get the little dastard out.

Let's hear your home remedies for splinter removal.

And to keep it on topic, here's a picture of a bicycle from Google images
3a45611b5da10346ba3e2ab0fb3b5409.jpg

Nevermind. The old method of ignoring it until the body pushed it far enough out to grab it with tweezers.

20201201_082502.jpg

I did think I was gonna have to wait for it to come out the other side, for a minute there.

eesh. But ya, "waiting" was gonna be my suggestion.

Although, I did that with a tiny glass splinter once, and eight years later had to have surgery to have it removed. So it doesn't always works.

eesh. But ya, "waiting" was gonna be my suggestion.

Although, I did that with a tiny glass splinter once, and eight years later had to have surgery to have it removed. So it doesn't always works.
Glass is a different story. I think because it's so sharp it just buries deeper when the body tries to push it out.

My wife had a tiny glass splinter from a corelle "unbreakable" plate in her foot. That thing was like a razor blade the size of a grain of sand, we ended up using baking soda to get it out, otherwise it would have been surgery.

Please tell us how that process works! My usual approach is an X-Acto knife with a fresh, sharp #11 blade.
I'll have to to ask her and get back to you, can't remember.

I think you just make up a paste with water and smear it on. Like cleaning your stovetop. I think it then softens the skin, lubricates, and maybe provides some air pressure on the other side of the splinter.

#11 blade is your ticket for poking things :thumbsup:

If I can't tweeze it, I dig at it with an exacto til I can :grin:.

I actually have an intermediate step, which is usually successful and heals faster. Exacto, razor or knife blade. Hold 90° to the splinter and shave the skin in the opposite direction that the splinter entered. Keep scraping skin til it gets thin enough that you expose the splinter or the blade pushes the splinter out. Usually no blood and heals much faster than when I go into impatient butcher mode.

Cactus is scary. I have a spine migrating from on top of the bad finger just in behind the nail bed. It became a hard lump and not sore so I forgot about it. It has now gone somewhere else. No mark, never infected, just went deeper than I could make myself dig. I have had my shots, including rabies. Another wordy story you don't want. Be Well Verrt! SS.

Cactus is scary. I have a spine migrating from on top of the bad finger just in behind the nail bed. It became a hard lump and not sore so I forgot about it. It has now gone somewhere else. No mark, never infected, just went deeper than I could make myself dig. I have had my shots, including rabies. Another wordy story you don't want. Be Well Verrt! SS.
Wordy stories is why I'm here.

Here's another one now. I remember reading about a woman who stepped on a stone fish. One of the spines got stuck in the sole of her foot and broke off. They either missed some in surgery or it was too deep and barbed to get all of it out. It finally came out months later when it worked its way through, and came out the top of her foot. :tmi:

I was swimming in a local farm pond when I was a young teen. I stepped on something sharp and it stuck in the bottom of one of my middle toes. Hurt bad for a couple of weeks.
About a month later, there was a tiny black hard speck sticking out the top of my toe. I dug at it for a while, then I went out to the garage and got some of my dad's pliers. After messing around for a while I used the pliers to pull out a 3/8 inch thorn through the top of my toe. Told no one. Quit hurting quickly and never got infected. All good.

Another story. My brother has a small rock under the skin on his right elbow. He said he wiped out on his bike as a kid. He didn't tell anyone, either. Today he his proud of "My Rock", as he calls it.

Oh wordy stories. This is going downhill fast.
I had a bump on my nose one time that hurt like real bad for couple of days. Finally messed with it with tears in my eyes cuz it hurt so bad and found that it was a nose hair that had grown the wrong direction THRU my nose. Told u this was going downhill

I got one in my forearm several years ago from crashing into a spruce branch that someone broke off on a rough rock garden. I though I pulled it all out. I let it go but it got infected, looked like half a red apple was on my arm. The doctor had to extract the sliver. He put it in a specimen jar so I could show my friends but I threw it away, too weird for me. He didn’t get it all as some more worked out later. I probably ignored it for a week before my friends convinced me to go in. I guess the ignoxious method isn’t fool proof, as this fool discovered.

Latest posts

Back