Roast My YouTube Channel

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’ve had a YouTube channel for over 13 years now, recently I’ve been trying to make a video a week and now I’ve narrowed my content to bike/truck stuff. I just released a 2 part video about whether or not you should fix up that old bike you have.

I’m looking for brutal commentary from fellow bike guys, so have at it. Make me a better YouTuber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, I forgot you don’t like bikes. Haha

I have an old old RC video that got a lot of views. It’s hot garbage though. Haha

I do like bikes. I just have a channel for RC.

Oh yeah, I forgot you don’t like bikes. Haha

I have an old old RC video that got a lot of views. It’s hot garbage though. Haha

I used to have a channel about bikes but I deleted it because I did not want more than one channel and the RC one was the oldest and 1st channel that I created so that's the one I decided to keep.

I used to have a channel about bikes but I deleted it because I did not want more than one channel and the RC one was the oldest and 1st channel that I created so that's the one I decided to keep.
i actually think your channel is pretty good!

I’ve had a YouTube channel for over 13 years now, recently I’ve been trying to make a video a week and now I’ve narrowed my content to bike/truck stuff. I just released a 2 part video about whether or not you should fix up that old bike you have.

I’m looking for brutal commentary from fellow bike guys, so have at it. Make me a better YouTuber.

Smile, and breath more, even when your face is off camera.

Visual and sound were good.
Watch the light in your backgrounds, sometimes the contrast bombs out the subject.
I think I only noticed it once, but remember you get quieter when you take a step further from the mic. If you notice this in editing you can bump it up a little for a second or so.

Editing is pretty good, couple of cuts were a little sharp.
If you're trying to trim the audio short but it's making the visual cut awkward, try switching the visual earlier or later than the audio. Same deal if you need to cut a visual but it's messing with your audio.
Or if you like your audio clip but don't like the visual at all, play it over a smooth pan of your subject (the bike, not your face).
Try it out, mess around with it, see how other people are using it.
TV News pieces can be pretty good (or terrible) at this because the audio and video they get aren't always ideal for the edit they want, and reshoots or new VO aren't possible because of deadlines. Watch what they do, steal what's good.

Record an outro, even on a 2 parter. New location(indoor?), or same spot as the intro, thanks for watching, remember to check out the great stuff in part 2, like, subscribe, etc.

I like your title graphic, but if you place it next all your other graphics, your video thumbnails, channel banners, your little verse of the day overlay, any other graphic, etc. Does it match?, do they all show visual consistency? Fonts, theme, colors.
I haven't done this for you, and don't know the answer, could be a yes, but you should do it if you haven't.
If something looks awesome but doesn't fit with the whole, change it, or change every other piece to match it.

You'll see these notes are all pretty mild, which means you did a good job. Nice work.

I don't have any specific notes on actual content. There were a couple of spots where I thought, could that be made more clear for newbies? But then decided any more explanation than what you did would be getting off topic and make it too long.

Trying to be brutal here, as instructed, but you're not giving me much to work with.

I liked your videos. Watched part 1 and part 2. The content was good, I bet a lot of newbies don't have any idea of replacement bike parts and prices. I wouldn't quibble with the photography either, but the sound! I found the music way to loud and the voice over way too quiet. Very good effort really! :)

I found the music way to loud and the voice over way too quiet.
Interesting. I didn't get this issue.
Could be some helpful data here.

Listening on sony bluetooth ear bud in only one ear, but playing whole audio as a mono channel.
They tend to play pretty clear across the spectrum, with a slight tendency towards bassiness.

What was your audio playing on, HF?

Verrt,

Thanks for all the notes man, I appreciate it. I liked the note about smiling, I’m actually a very happy and smiley person and I like when I see myself smile in my videos but videoing alone it seems harder for me to do.

I understand what you said with cuts, I don’t script anything and tend to continually talk and later I realize I needed pauses for good cuts. Sometimes I’m just removing stuff I decided I didn’t need in edit.

With some videos I’ll be technical, but most are going to be overview videos. If my channel grows I can see if people need more technical advice.

I appreciate the tips on my graphics, I’m about to redo them with the channel name change and I’m going to relate them all better.

I do like bikes. I just have a channel for RC.

The “you don’t like bikes” comment was about some of your bike reviews in Bike Talk, it was a joke.

I like your RC stuff. Sometimes I want to get back into RC stuff but I try not to spread the little but if money I have too thin. Most money being saved up for my 47 Chevy truck, some money to bikes.

liked the note about smiling, I’m actually a very happy and smiley person and I like when I see myself smile in my videos but videoing alone it seems harder for me to do.
Try watching something really funny that makes you belly laugh right before you start the take?
Also star jumps and crazy dancing to funky beats.

My original post had the line "Use the personality you use with your wife and kids, not the one you use when you're trying to make a good impression"
But I cut it out :bigsmile:

No problem with the vid, just might be more entertaining with a dog in it. An occasional zoomed in shot on the dog's reaction to something you just did would be a good effect.
But I'm no expert. When I used to get into Earth Science on my weather briefs in the military, I'd get yelled at to get on track. A dog that would bark at me to get back on subject would have worked.
Dogs are always a good thing.
1611545743940.png

Interesting. I didn't get this issue.
Could be some helpful data here.

Listening on sony bluetooth ear bud in only one ear, but playing whole audio as a mono channel.
They tend to play pretty clear across the spectrum, with a slight tendency towards bassiness.

What was your audio playing on, HF?
On my windows computer with pretty nice wired Sony headphones.
I have the same complaint re: some television programs and movies. :soapbox:

No problem with the vid, just might be more entertaining with a dog in it. An occasional zoomed in shot on the dog's reaction to something you just did would be a good effect.
But I'm no expert. When I used to get into Earth Science on my weather briefs in the military, I'd get yelled at to get on track. A dog that would bark at me to get back on subject would have worked.
Dogs are always a good thing.
View attachment 149886

Sorry, I’m a cat guy.
024b24449361f8dd65a578f859903d32.jpg

And cats could give a crap about my videos.

Latest posts

Back