Another one lost to powder coating/ "restoring"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Hey hey Rat Roders haven't been around much lately.... But figured this one should go up for posterity, kind of stepped back from collecting/projects the last year. But every once in a while my reputation precedes me locally, I basically begged the owner not to powder coat this/"restore" this '50s Huffy branded Higgins in survivor condition. But I failed another one lost to time.
Screenshot_20210325-230643~2.png

One of the cooler middleweights I've seen. Sadly I couldn't save her.

It seems that there was a blip in the Murray-Sears relation in '56. There is often mention of a strike, but I've found no evidence of that happening. 1956 was the year that Murray transferred production from Ohio to the new plant in Tennessee. Regardless of reason, '56 seems to be the year sears started sourcing a lot of bikes from other suppliers...notably imports from Germany and Austria. I'd be curious if this CBC is '56 (or later), as it seems at around this era Monark, CBC and others start showing up with JC Higgins badging.

And the graphics look(ed) great on that Higgins! At least we have a pic.
Chain bike was in New York if I recall. CWC moved to Little rock Arkansas right around that time also. Ohio was where the best bikes were made back then.

Need to know something? Just Google it , at least that's what the kids say....a lot is lost these days along with things gained ,.
In my day I spent countless hours, days, miles, up and down alleys, yard sales , swapmeets , thrift shops, peering into open garages as I drove buy, following leads buy others reading newspapers ect.ect.ect. now if you have the money, just click.

Latest posts

Back