Billy Bobber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's been 6 years since I did BO10 and I'm more than ready to do another one. I picked up this late 90's retro looking schwinn for 50 dollars and it has a cool nexus 7 speed rear hub. I plan on ditching most of the parts and adding my own. Probably using not much more than the frame and wheels. I have a bunch of miscellaneous parts I've collected, an aftermarket tank, and a rough idea of what I want it to look like but as always I'm sure it will change as I go. Here's a couple pics of it now. I will hopefully get it ripped apart this weekend.
20210501_090306.jpg
20210501_090322.jpg

Welcome back brother billy bob!
I remember your cool build back in BO10. Looking forward to what you do with this one.

Well, I got a little bit of tear down and played around with the wheel / tire combo. I came across these GT smoothie 26x2.5 tires that were take offs due to the guy not wanting dirty tires all the time. They remind me of the thick slick but white. While mocking them up I also got reminded of how much white tires suck to keep clean. Although they don't suck as much as the cheap plastic wheel discs that I tried out. I payed a guy 30 dollars for these things and that was 30 dollars too much! Pretty sure that if you look up flimsy piece of crap wheel discs there is a picture of these right next to the definition. I do however like the look so now it's time to contemplate buying a set a moon covers and painting them black or trying to make myself live with these.

I also sat the tank in place along with the chain guard. Thinking maybe I can mount the nexus shifter inside the tank and sticking out the hole just enough for a shift lever. Depends on knee clearance I guess. I'm still not sure on what forks. After seeing it like this maybe just add strut bars? Although I was leaning towards triple trees with clip on bars.

20210509_102228.jpg
20210509_102207.jpg
20210509_102128.jpg

That pretty much wraps up my free time for the next couple of weeks. I have a little Datsun pickup I'm taking to the Salt Lake Goodguys show in a week and a half and have a few things to do to get ready for it.

Btw... I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's builds this year
20210509_102242.jpg

Well, I got a little bit of tear down and played around with the wheel / tire combo. I came across these GT smoothie 26x2.5 tires that were take offs due to the guy not wanting dirty tires all the time. They remind me of the thick slick but white. While mocking them up I also got reminded of how much white tires suck to keep clean. Although they don't suck as much as the cheap plastic wheel discs that I tried out. I payed a guy 30 dollars for these things and that was 30 dollars too much! Pretty sure that if you look up flimsy piece of crap wheel discs there is a picture of these right next to the definition. I do however like the look so now it's time to contemplate buying a set a moon covers and painting them black or trying to make myself live with these.

I also sat the tank in place along with the chain guard. Thinking maybe I can mount the nexus shifter inside the tank and sticking out the hole just enough for a shift lever. Depends on knee clearance I guess. I'm still not sure on what forks. After seeing it like this maybe just add strut bars? Although I was leaning towards triple trees with clip on bars.

View attachment 156884View attachment 156885View attachment 156886
That pretty much wraps up my free time for the next couple of weeks. I have a little Datsun pickup I'm taking to the Salt Lake Goodguys show in a week and a half and have a few things to do to get ready for it.

Btw... I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's builds this year View attachment 156887
I personally love those 90's Schwinn blade-inspired forks :) So i'd probably leave them on. Also in my opinion creme tires would look so much better on creme rims then white ones. The other advantage of creme ones is that they still look cool when they get dirty :)

I personally love those 90's Schwinn blade-inspired forks :) So i'd probably leave them on. Also in my opinion creme tires would look so much better on creme rims then white ones. The other advantage of creme ones is that they still look cool when they get dirty :)
I definitely like the forks better than I ever thought I would. As for the tire, I'm not set on leaving the rims the cream color. I'm probably going to end repainting everything. If I keep the wheels discs I will probably paint the rims black along with sanding and and repainting the discs. The paint on them is pretty bad. I appreciate the input, thank you

Those white Smoothies are like whipped cream on a hot fudge sundae! And I :inlove: hot fudge sundaes!

Cool whip! (double entendre pun intended)
Haha... thank you. As soon as I saw them I knew that I had to put them on something

Love those tires, never seen up close before.
Those discs don't look bad to me. $30 is a lot cheaper than $400. It would be a shame to paint Moonies. I wonder if you could anodize them? That would be a first.

Latest posts

Back